Notices
Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

IRS OR SOLID AXLE

Old 03-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IRS OR SOLID AXLE

while i am well aware that the auto with the big stall is best for consistancy, i am looking for more "fun to drive" factor with my next car, so godforbid its not the challenger, it will be soemthing with a manual transmission. while not as "ideal" for the quarter mile, a manual transmission creates less drivetrain loss than an automatic, thus more wheel hp...
Old 03-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome. When you cross that bridge let me know what solid axle/suspension you wind up using and if you buy it as a whole system or you buy the individual parts.

Again good luck at the drag strip.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Based on the magazine articles comment below I may be getting a great handling car if they can say this about the Charger then the Challenger will be awesome
especially if it is a few hundred lbs lighter with the LY platform.

"The Hemi is definitely at home when above 2,700 rpm. The response is more than adequate for a four-door sedan. Below that, we would like to see an improvement. The AutoStick was a welcomed option, especially when it came time to downshift into the corners. When cruising the long straightaway, the triple-digit speeds felt more than stable--in like it didn't even feel like triple digits. Even at a hefty 4,000 pounds, the car handled the sharp corners quite well."

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:51 PM

I'm more solid axle oriented because of the durability. The Mustang crew has seen alot of problems with IRS unit in their higher HP applications. Even if I don't frequently race it, I will have my right foot into it plenty and especially w/ the "shock" element that a manual trans will add.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 PM

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A LITTLE LEARY ABOUT THE IRS. PROBABLY BETTER HANDLING AND RIDE BUT CONCERNED WITH DURABILITY. iT WILL BE VERY HARD FOR ME TO KEEP MY FOOT OUT OF IT.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 AM

Appears the solid axle crowd may have been right as we're now seeing a "weak spot" reported by owners in terms of axle shafts in the IRS. Same issue the mustang and Vette guys have seen. I just hope the 09 "fix" does the trick?