Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Ordering and need advice on some options and extended warranty

Old 10-18-2008, 12:17 AM
caj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering and need advice on some options and extended warranty

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum and have learned a lot from reading all your posts. We're retired, live in St George, Utah (previous from Bartlett, Ill before retiring) and just sold our 2001 Caddy Eldo that was pristine with 24,000 miles to buy a new Challenger R/T. The dealer here wants $5,000 over invoice for an R/T so we will probably buy/order in Las Vegas when we're there in a little over a week.
So-far we are undecided on the color. I originally wanted to wait for the B-5 Blue, but I saw a B-5 blue on a Charger and wasn't very impressed. It's really doesn't look much like the B-5 Blue I remember in the early 70s'. So we're now considering White, Hemi-Orange, or Tored Red.
We are also going to get an auto trans. My wife can drive stick but "she chooses not too". Well, at least I'm getting a Challenger.
So here here is where I'm looking for a little advice and opinions.....
1) Is the Sound Group 2 (368 watt) with sub-woofer that much of an improvement over the 276 watt system and worth the money?
2) I owned a 97 Vette with the run-flat tires and never really trusted the fact that there was no spare tire. I am thinking of ordering the compact spare tire. The drawback is all the space that it will take away from the trunk area. What are you all doing? Is it a necessary evil or should I trust the set-up that is standard on the Challenger?
3) We've never owned a GPS and are considering it. We don't have an MP3 or any of that kind of stuff. I've read good and bad about the uconnect GPS. From what I've seen, I like the looks of the console a little better without the GPS....it just looks cleaner. But, is it worth the money? I'm old school and in a way I think that, down the road, it's just one more thing to go wrong.....which brings me to my last question.
4) When I told the local salesperson here in town about my concern with the uconnect GPS being expensive to fix when it eventually malfunctions and stops working (years down the road), he said that for $2300 you can buy a $100 deductable bumper-bumper lifetime warranty on the car that will cover everything for as long as you (the original owner) owns the car. First of all....I'm not one for purchasing additional warranties, but that doesn't seem like a bad deal. I'm sure that the price may be somewhat negotiable also....they always are. Has anyone heard of that and what do you think.
We'll....that's it. I hope I haven't been too long winded but I was an engineer in my working days and the thoroughness still carries over somewhat (unless it comes to outside yard-work..ha ha ha). Thanks for taking the time to read this and all your replies are more than welcome. Craig
Old 10-18-2008, 03:34 AM

Default RE: Ordering and need advice on some options and extended warranty

Hi caj, Welcome to the forum.
On question number 1, I'm old school too. I really can't tell the difference on the sound systems except the 368 watt would be louder.
2, I have a Grand Caravan with a donut spare. 2 flat tires later I bought a full size spare put in back of the van. ON I-94 doing 55 mph doesn't cut it.
3, I just recieved a Garvin GPS for B-day gift from my kids works great ($250). Mounts on top of dash. My daughter has a My Gig unit in her Jeep. It doesn't works because there's joystick with it that doesn't work. New models don't have the joystick. Thirteen hundred to replace.
4, I can do without that, but do they really cover anything. You gotta read the "fine print" on the contract.

Finally color, SILVER is the fastest. Cheers

P.S. I'm not saying don't get a spare tire. I'm saying get a full size spare tire. A Challenger should not be seen limping along doing 55.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:11 AM

Welcome Craig...

1) I would opt for the upgraded stereo just to have it. Would hate to regret not having picked it from the get go and be left wishing I had.

2) Again... even though there was no option for the spare with my Challenger... if there was I would have added it. Would rather have it in case I decided I wanted it down the road sometime than regret not having gotten it with the car in the first place.

3) I would get the MyGig uconnect with GPS for the same reasons as above.

4) I would use the warranty as a negotiating point. Try to get them to throw it in on the original package deal. I would also find out who is backing the warranty. If it is through Chrysler I would find out who is picking it up if Chrysler is dissected and sold off as recent rumors suggest could be in the near future.

As for invoice + $5000... I would shop around. Sound like that price is probably about $2 - $3k over MSRP if I am doing my math right. In todays economic environment you should be able to negotiate a much better deal.

And lastly... with all due respect Dodge Favre is misguided and misinformed... Black is unquestionably the fastest... hardest to keep clean mind you... but worth it. And quite honestly... I havent seen a color yet that I didn"t like...

These answers are mostly based on my subjective opinion... your mileage may vary. Except the part about the Black Challengers... this is a well known fact to those who are in the know...
Old 10-18-2008, 05:17 AM

Craig!

-Warranty: The $64,000 question until the future of Chrysler is resolved. Further, if Chyrsler is sliced and diced into oblivion shortly, we just might have real genuine appreciating collectibles on our hands, thereby rendering a warranty and its cost irrelevant. Accordingly, every option available seems like a logical move. Roll the dice-bag the spare.

-Do not be tempted to pay too much!! I am picking up my R/T 6 speed all options this coming Wed paying $1000 over dealer invoice through Russ Ficek at Timberline Dodge in Portland. The icing on the cake: being treated wonderfully and actually enjoying the process of purchashing a new car. Stranger than truth!! A shameless plug that is totally warranted in light of how this dealership operates, and, no bribe money has come my way for these comments!!

-There is only one color choice for a certified blindingly fast and utterly cool Challenger. It is B5: Bad Baby Boomer Boy Black.....heh heh.

OK, OK, all the other colors are very sharp, too. Maybe the titanium is a smart choice, as it seems to be the least ordered color, yet comes accross quite stunning.

Happy Trails....

7009 aka 70 Roadrunner Coupe, 09 R/T Challenger
Old 10-18-2008, 08:00 AM

I have an 08 with My gig and have never had nav before... I like it and just like any new tool I am finding uses for it.. it is not necessary, but a fun toy (sort of like the car)

My take on additional warranties is.... if they are willing to bet that you won't have issues, I guess I'm willing to too... as it will take $2300 worth of problems before you see any benefit...

Their motive is profit and plan to charge more than the expected costs.. Including a hefty commission for the salesman selling..

I wish I had a spare... for my Charger RT, I found an 18" mini on e-bay for $80 (mine had been stolen)

I too have had Eldo's, and I think you will find this car to be...not that different... nice ride very quiet, just a bunch faster, and better looking. Oh and rear wheel drive is so much better (at least most of the time)

Last thing is color, the 08s limited us to only 3 choices.. but the truth is I only needed one choice... the fastest ... oh yeah Black
But I don't think you can go wrong with any color (just slower)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1309/664C1A43CB0B4B75ABC4E0291FC3CA74.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 PM

On the R/T, the compact spare doesn't take up any room. It's under the floor of the trunk with the battery. Yeah, I'd prefer a full size but that was not an option and it would take up trunk space. The Nav is a fun toy but not really necessary but we do like the U-connect for the phone. The radio is a personal thing, my ear is not good enough to tell the difference. Also, you should be able to negotiate something between invoice and MSRP, shop around.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:03 PM

Go for White. It and Plum Crazy are the only acceptable colors for Challengers. What? Plum Crazy isn't an option? Then you have only one choice.

Definitely get the spare. Apparently, it's easy to get the donut from the factory, and as has been noted, it fits under the trunk mat. Believe me, a full-size spare takes up too much room in the trunk. Hence, I went ahead and ordered the donut spare, too, and now am waiting and waiting and waiting for it to arrive.

Have fun with your car, even if for some odd reason you don't get a White one!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Hi Craig and welcome to the forums. I live in Vegas and have a Titanuim R/T on order at Chapman Dodge on Sahara. They have 2 R/T's with Auto's on their lot atm.

Here is their web page " Chapman Dodge " . Dont go thru Integrity or United as both of those are overpriced and have big markups. Towbin is ok, but have the big ego of the "Chopper" to live up to and Desert dodge's web site shows their cars to be overpriced also.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:12 AM
caj

ORIGINAL: 09ChallengerRT

Hi Craig and welcome to the forums. I live in Vegas and have a Titanuim R/T on order at Chapman Dodge on Sahara. They have 2 R/T's with Auto's on their lot atm.

Here is their web page " Chapman Dodge " . Dont go thru Integrity or United as both of those are overpriced and have big markups. Towbin is ok, but have the big ego of the "Chopper" to live up to and Desert dodge's web site shows their cars to be overpriced also.

Thanks for all the replies and help everyone. I was wondering if Chapman Dodge gave you a good deal when you ordered from them 09ChallengerRT?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:29 PM

I havent gone over any specifics yet butso far I am letting them know that I will only pay MSRP or less for it.

Quick Reply: Ordering and need advice on some options and extended warranty