View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM
RoswellGrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vanishing Point

From what I've read, five Challengers appeared in the 1971 movie -- four 440 four-speeds and one 383 automatic. Apparently, they used the 383 to tow the Camaro via cable into the bulldozers for the crash scene at the end. It's not known if any of the vehicles from the movie survive, because the Chrysler Corp. disassociated itself from the film when the execs there found it it involved -- gasp! -- the use of speed and had -- bigger gasp! -- a naked girl on a motorcycle.

As to the remake of Vanishing Point, the ONLY good thing about it is the scene involving the black Charger -- much like the ONLY good thing about 2Fast 2Furious is the scene involving a street race with a Challenger. Needless to say, the Challenger totally blows away whatever modern car it's running against.

I don't think Vanishing Point should ever be remade. Such a story only could have happened in the '70s. Why? Because the story wasn't supposed to make sense -- just like the early '70s themselves didn't make sense. Where they really screwed up the Fox remake was by cluttering up the action with a pretty bogus story line. I'm afraid anything produced now would be as bad as the Fox TV version.