View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 07:49 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car Companies

Actually it was quite massive. One of these days I will look through some archieves to find the specific number of engines effected and it was the most common manufacturer with that problem. Some models since then have had that problem. I'm not surprised that you haven't had that problem because most people who religiously change their oil or use synthetic are immune to it. Based on how much you spent on your Solara, it is obvious that your cars are something that you value equite significantly. The fact is I know people whom have had this issue and I get sick of seeing problems like this happening and them coming out smelling like a rosie because the auto press doesn't dwell on it like they dwell on problems that the Big Three have had. Most people that I know whom have Toyotas have more service done while thinking nothing of it. My boss just had his wife's Sienna's differental (pardon the spelling) flushed according to him, yet my parents never had to do than on any of the Chrysler models we have owned. The friend who had the Camry had to have a whole bunch of gaskets replaced that was specificed as regular maintenance.

I have no love for the mafia run unions. As far as I'm concerned the industry would be better off without them. I don't support the Big Three for that, I support them because it is part of my heritage and based on my families experence has had lots of good vehicles from them. We have had various models from the big three that have lasted for a very long time with minimal serious problems. I buy from the Big Three because I like their cars better as a whole. I don't like Toyota's styling or interior, it looks bland and boring to me. I don't like their engines. I don't like the way their transmissions operate. It is simply that some people just like certain brands and don't like other brands because they are able to see flaws that others cannot see. There are other Japanese brands that I like. I like Honda because I have seen that they make good quality engines and I like Nissan for the VQ. I like Yamaha for the 3.0L and 3.2L SHO engines and wished they would have used them in sportier models.

I criticize the Big Three regularly when they screw up. I bad mouth the 2.7L on a regular basis for having the same problem as those Toyota engines. I criticize Ford's Duratech, 3.8L, and 4.0L engines. I bad mouth most of GMs engines for quality problems. I don't always give the Big Three the nod for being perfect.

Also another reason why I prefer the Big Three are these comparisons in other magazines that actually use the vehicles for their true purposes. Around 2002 a farming magazine had a comparison between the full-sized truck offerings from the Big Three and Toyota. All of these trucks were given serious abuse and Toyota got dead last in durability. I also heard a case where Camrys were being used as police cars and fell to pieces. When I read this, I ask myself how on earth can they be so reliable but fall apart anytime their being abused. This is why I refuse to believe that Toyotas are as reliable as they claim they are.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts