Thread: Point Man
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Point Man - Week #10 "Telling your kids what you don't want to tell them"

True character is revealed not by what a man does when people are watching but by what he does when nobody is around.

Point Man – Week #10/Part 2 A Bible study on a man leading his family based on the Steve Farrar book.

Well I hope everybody had a great July 4th and got some much needed rest. Last week we finished discussing part 2 “about how to raise masculine sons and feminine daughters”. This week we will discuss “Telling your kids what you don’t want to tell them”. This is our 2nd to the last lesson in this book. If you have some suggestion on what you would like to further study please pray about it and let me know.

So lets start off bold. When it comes to teaching your kids about sex, you need to be the instructor. Yes, this means you teach them everything about the fundamentals of sexuality and how everything works. We need to make sure they learn it from their parents and not from the rest of the world which most of the time is wrong. That does not mean you have to teach them everything all at once. I remember my wife and I were having to go to a children’s book store because discussions of a sexual nature were going on in their elementary school and we wanted to make sure our kids heard it right the first time and from us. I also know in different parts of the country they not only show sexuality films but they also allow people to come in and teach alternative life styles. They have also shown girls how to put on condoms on guys by practicing putting it on the guys’ finger in class. It certainly is up to us as parents to not only teach our kids about sexuality but make a stand for what gets allowed to be taught in our schools. Homosexuality is being taught as well as Planned Parenthood teaching outercourse, over-the-counter methods, periodic abstinence (also known as fertility awareness-based methods, withdrawal, and continuous breast feeding). Those are things that I did not want my kids being taught.
This is for children but also for adults. We need to understand and teach that sex is a gift from God to be used for procreation and for enjoyment and intimacy between a married couple. Since this is a gift from God, we are not to be ashamed to discuss with our children what God has given us. I think the main reason why many couples don’t teach sex is because their parents did not teach them. We need to break that generational gap with us as the parents and teachers of our children. A father is responsible to teach his children about sex, but as a rule, the fathers should teach their sons and mothers should teach their daughters. The father, as head of his household, should make sure that the proper instruction at the appropriate time by the appropriate parent should be done.

Let’s learn a little wisdom from Proverbs which is considered wisdom literature in the Bible.

Proverbs 5:1-23
A Warning Against Committing Adultery

1 My son, pay attention to my wisdom.
Listen carefully to my wise sayings.
2 Then you will continue to have good sense.
Your lips will keep on speaking words of knowledge.
3 A woman who commits adultery has lips that drip honey.
What she says is smoother than oil.
4 But in the end she is like bitter poison.
She cuts like a sword that has two edges.
5 Her feet go down to death.
Her steps lead straight to the grave.
6 She doesn't give any thought to her way of life.
Her paths are crooked, but she doesn't realize it.

In verses, 1-6 King Solomon teaches his son about the kind of woman that will seek to bring him down.

[b] 7 My sons, listen to me.
Don't turn away from what I say.
8 Stay on a path far away from that evil woman.
Don't even go near the door of her house.
9 If you do, you will give your best strength to others.
You will give the best years of your life to someo
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.