View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 04:31 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big Three to shift into '08 models

Lear: I hope that your source is correct. That would be an excellent way to kick off the new Challenger. The only trouble I have in believing that is all the press releases referring to the Challenger equipped with the 6.1L will have the current 425hp output. Maybe this will happen later in production. For the sake of making things interesting, I would like to see Ford improve their power without resorting to forced air induction so then they can compete as well. I would just like to see the Challenger be faster stock than resorting to aftermarket parts, because then the never ending debates happen, "Well your's might be faster stock, but now I added this and it trumps your's." These get very old. A car is normally judged by its stock capabilities. Don't get me wrong, having a modified Challenger is more than respectable, I just want to see the Challenger do better in its stock form is all.

Axel: Perhaps it isn't the best term to associate between the two but you know what I mean. You are right based on the information that we have available that the 5.7L produces that torque and hp at a higher RPM, in fact higher than even the LX car version. I think the reason why the LX cars generate more tq is partly due to the exhaust system. To tell you the truth, I have often thought it was rather weird how they have the 5.7L Hemi in the Ram set up in terms of hp and tq settings. The only thing I will say in its defense is unlike many multivalve DOHC engines without VVT, I believe it naturally has a relatively flat hp and tq curve due to the more traditional OHV set up. Although it makes most of it up high, it is pretty consistent I believe throughout the RPM range. It is also important to remember that in comparison to the 6.1L (which produces the peak hp at 6200 & tq at 4800), it isn't entirely like a performance engine it its RPM characteristics, a little more than one would like in a truck granted, but not necessarily performance engine in a performance car in its hp and tq characteristics either. If they add a form of VVT, that should help to combat the problem as what is rumored to happen.

I think it should be sufficient for towing with your 2500. I have friends who have Hemi equipped Ram 2500 who previously had 5.9L Magnum equipped Ram 2500s and they use their trucks for work purposes (farming and the such) and they said it was quite an improvement. It won't rival the Cummins nor the V10 granted, but it is certainly sufficient for most people's needs.

Lordfoul, you have pretty much summed up my perspective on purchasing a Challenger. I prefer to wait until the options start being introduced to re-stimulate interest in the Challenger. Plus, all of the first year flaws are resolved by then.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts