View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Yankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW on the Dodge Site!

Theoretically I will concede that Jeremiah and Skippy do have a valid point, strictly from a business standpoint.

HOWEVER...

Car companies make prototypes all the time, some that end up getting produced, some that never see the light of day. Take the new Chevy Volt, for example. Is GM really gonna build this car? Who knows, I doubt even GM knows for sure. But at least they're thinking about their customers who may want a strictly hybrid/electric car (or whatever its claim to fame is), customers who very well might otherwise shop the competition because they feel their needs aren't being met by GM.

Take the Viper as another example. Did Dodge really NEED to build an outrageously fast 2-seater? From strictly a business standpoint, I would say no, it didn't. But Dodge did it anyway largely because, I feel, they WANTED to, for a number of reasons. And all the reasons I can think of are largely from a WANT and emotional standpoint, not a business one. Dodge knew that it wouldn't be a mass-produced car and that its profit-margin wouldn't be that great, but it knew such a machine would be the perfect target for those who had an emotional NEED (or WANT) to have such a car - screw the bean-counters who would have otherwised nixed the car because their MIGHT not be a sufficient demand for it - from strictly a business standpoint.

Personally I have no need or want for a Challenger convertible... but I think it's a mistake for Dodge to dismiss the idea of one. Sure, in a couple of years they might consider the idea, but what about those potential customers it will have lost in the meantime to Ford or GM because they DIDN'T take a couple of years to "consider" the idea - they just went ahead and did it. Maybe Dodge is doing the safe by holding off on any convertible plans, maybe they aren't. It may be safe, but I personally don't think it's necessarily the right thing. Only time will truly tell, I guess.

Sorry for being long-winded, but do you see what I'm getting at here? Am I the only one who feels this way?