Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

NEW on the Dodge Site!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW on the Dodge Site!

Dodge.com has updated their site...........Pony up....... and get ready to roll.

http://www.redletterdodge.com/

CHALLENGER

Not surprisingly, the Challenger is a hot topic of conversation, which led to the following questions and even the occasional demanding chorus of chanting:

Q: davesanrn posted:

“I heard all the R/Ts have been pre-sold already. I hope that isn’t true.”

A: We can safely say that no R/Ts have been put up for sale yet. They are, as yet, unavailable for pre-sale in the 2008 model year. — RLD

Q: craig posted:

“is there a chance we will see the challenger body in NASCAR”

Our own Mike Accavitti offers this answer:

Read More »
Old 09-27-2007, 02:45 AM

Default RE: NEW on the Dodge Site!

Yeah. Be interesting to see if they answer this:

#
On Sep 26, 2007 at 2:52AM, RoswellGrey posted:

Will a six-cylinder version of the Challenger be available — if not on the 2008 model, maybe on the ‘09? Some of us are interested in the car just for its looks — NOT as a performance vehicle. Also with gasoline climbing in price and insurance rates being what they are, a six-cylinder version makes perfect sense for many.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, folks came across this yesterday, and I was foolishly believing someone else would have posted the update. Don't know the source being cited, but ALLPAR is generally pretty good w/ their specalation (sic).

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

".....The always-reliable oh20 reported that the Challenger would start production in March 2008 with the SRT8 and 6.1 liter engine (LC series). The 2009 Challenger, to be built starting in July 2008, will include a 3.5 liter SXT with the 3.5 liter engine and four-speed automatic, R/T with the second-generation 5.7 Hemi, and the SRT-8. The 2010, to start production in July 2009 - with convertibles starting in early 2009 - will be similar but with SXT and R/T convertibles, and a new 6.4 liter High Output SRT8 option. Finally, the 2011 Challenger will include the 4.0 liter Phoenix engine instead of the 3.5 liter.

Features and options on the 2008-09 Challengers should be similar to the 2008 Chargers, except for a functional hood scoop, keyless ignition starting in 2009, Boston Acoustics audio, and the six-speed manual TREMEC transmission....."

Not 100% verifiable, but if you say it with confidence, anything (well almost anything) is believable.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM

Interesting. On the Dodge site itself, one of the answers concerns the convertible. The answer -- from Dodge -- is that there are no plans to make one.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 AM

I kind of saw that as a non-answer. I think it is probably likely to happen in a year or two based upon good sales. Just my opinion.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:49 PM

They were kind enough to answer one of my questions too (and so far I've asked alot).

As far as a convertible, I don't know why Dodge seems to be so dead set against one - it's not like there wouldn't be a market for one, I mean look at the Mustang convertible, it's not like those are exactly rare. Chevy has already planned a new Camaro convertible... why Dodge has taken this "not only NO but HELL NO" mentality about a ragtop Challenger is a bit of a mystery.

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 09-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I am guessing but I believe it is because of a lack of time. You have to stiffen the chassis for a convertible and that adds time and cost.

After a couple of years I would think they would add it. They are just trying to beat everybody else to the pony war race. Camaro is on their heels.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

Finally, the 2011 Challenger will include the 4.0 liter Phoenix engine instead of the 3.5 liter.

One word in that is key: "Finally." Apparently, that means the '11 model year will be the last! We're getting ripped off a year compared to the original Challengers of 1970-74! Oh, my God! We all better run right out and pay ANY price dealers ask to get ahold of one before they disappear!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I am guessing but I believe it is because of a lack of time. You have to stiffen the chassis for a convertible and that adds time and cost.

After a couple of years I would think they would add it. They are just trying to beat everybody else to the pony war race. Camaro is on their heels.
True... but there's still no real reason they couldn't have a convertible model if they really wanted one. All of the original Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs, Challengers and (E-body) Cudas all had a convertible model in their first year... Chevy has already been parading around their concept Camaro convertible for several months now - even though it still won't be out for a couple of years, at least we know they'll have one.

Bottom line, Dodge COULD have a convertible Challenger if they wanted to make one. Why this isn't such an issue for the Ford Mustang and the new Chevy Camaro but it is for a new Challenger is still a mystery - and again, why they seemingly refuse to even entertain the idea is even more baffling. I mean, it's not like we're asking for something ludicrous like a station wagon model or something equally ridiculous... [&:]
Old 09-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Please see this post: https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=16716

It is talking about cost cutting.

if they really wanted one
That is not a way to make a business decision. It has to be a business need and not a want.

All of the original Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs, Challengers and (E-body) Cudas all had a convertible model in their first year... Chevy has already been parading around their concept Camaro convertible for several months now - even though it still won't be out for a couple of years, at least we know they'll have one.
What they did in the past was a different business case and you cannot compare that to now. Business is different now. I would not be surprised if they don't have one
in a couple of years but they are just highly focused on the now.

Why this isn't such an issue for the Ford Mustang and the new Chevy Camaro
Ford and expect to do it as they have been making this car for a long time and as for Camaro it is just vaporware.....they don't have one yet. Anybody can make a one of car to show the world.

why they seemingly refuse to even entertain the idea is even more baffling
They are in the business to make money and not entertain ideas and are more secretive than other car manufacturers.

I would suggest being patient.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Quick Reply: NEW on the Dodge Site!