View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 07:02 AM
lear4406

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 71 Challenger Vs. 96 Eclipse GST

It was a good race. We started out stopped at the lights, engines revving. He's modded with EVO engine and super large intercooler. 3" exhaust and all the bells and whistles. I'm 340 mildly modded. WE hit it at the lights and he has me by 1/2 a car. I start to reel him in and pass him at 200 ft. from the 1/8 mile mark. Then my carb runs out of fuel and he passes me up at the 1/8 mile. This was my son and we went to the test and tune at Mooresville NC. Its a 1/8 mile track. We ran twice that night and it was a draw. I won the first one and he won the second. Both times my car's carb bowls emptied and I coasted in 3rd gear. The first time I had a good lead on him and he came close to going by when my car fuel starved. We have the race on film and I can't wait to see it. I raced 9 times and did'nt have a run that I did'nt run out of gas. Fuel bowl levels too low for high RPM sustained runs. The best I ran was 9.4 at 74 MPH. I ran out of fuel 100 ft from the 1/8 mile trip lights. The worst was the first run at 9.6 at 60 mph. I did a nice burn out to lock the sure grip, but ran out of fuel by the 3/4 of the 1/8 mile. My cars going to the restorers this week, so this was the last hoorah for a while. The engine will be getting a refresh and some aftermarket goodies. Just wish I could of got a full run in. That way I would have something to compare it with. I did burn rubber from the start to when it ran out of fuel at 2/3 track. I was racing an STI and he got a good jump on me. There must of been some liquid on the track, because no matter how hard I tried I got no traction at all. Great fun, but for an 1/8 mile you need more gear and slicks. This car is better suited for the 1/4 mile. But running out of fuel before the 1/8 I would of had a really short night at a quarter mile track.