Notices
General 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the E-body (1970-1974) Dodge Challenger

71 Challenger Vs. 96 Eclipse GST

Old 10-06-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 71 Challenger Vs. 96 Eclipse GST

It was a good race. We started out stopped at the lights, engines revving. He's modded with EVO engine and super large intercooler. 3" exhaust and all the bells and whistles. I'm 340 mildly modded. WE hit it at the lights and he has me by 1/2 a car. I start to reel him in and pass him at 200 ft. from the 1/8 mile mark. Then my carb runs out of fuel and he passes me up at the 1/8 mile. This was my son and we went to the test and tune at Mooresville NC. Its a 1/8 mile track. We ran twice that night and it was a draw. I won the first one and he won the second. Both times my car's carb bowls emptied and I coasted in 3rd gear. The first time I had a good lead on him and he came close to going by when my car fuel starved. We have the race on film and I can't wait to see it. I raced 9 times and did'nt have a run that I did'nt run out of gas. Fuel bowl levels too low for high RPM sustained runs. The best I ran was 9.4 at 74 MPH. I ran out of fuel 100 ft from the 1/8 mile trip lights. The worst was the first run at 9.6 at 60 mph. I did a nice burn out to lock the sure grip, but ran out of fuel by the 3/4 of the 1/8 mile. My cars going to the restorers this week, so this was the last hoorah for a while. The engine will be getting a refresh and some aftermarket goodies. Just wish I could of got a full run in. That way I would have something to compare it with. I did burn rubber from the start to when it ran out of fuel at 2/3 track. I was racing an STI and he got a good jump on me. There must of been some liquid on the track, because no matter how hard I tried I got no traction at all. Great fun, but for an 1/8 mile you need more gear and slicks. This car is better suited for the 1/4 mile. But running out of fuel before the 1/8 I would of had a really short night at a quarter mile track.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 71 Challenger Vs. 96 Eclipse GST

Sounds like you a great time at the track. You got a lot of runs in too.

Sorry to hear about the carb problem, at least something major didn't break on you.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Yeah, just hanging out with my 21 year old son and his friends at the drag is good for an old fart like me. I was impressed by the variety of cars and trucks and bikes. From full bodied drag cars to rice rockets. I even ran a modified power stroke diesel. He got the jump on me but I ran him down and started to pass him when I ran out of fuel at the end of the track. Threw it into third and coasted to the end. I guess you could say I finished 2nd And to drive home after a night of fun is a good thing also.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:13 AM

Having fun at the track driving home is a good thing. As for the fuel, change over to a 3/8" fuel line and get a good electric fuel pump mounted near the tank.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:15 PM

Thanks 70RTrag, thats what my brother said I should do. This was an original 318 cid car.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 PM

That's exactly what I did with my (modified) 340 Duster. My engine runs to almost 7000 RPM with no fuel starvation problems. Getting traction, well, that's another story...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 PM

70Chally, I went thru a few set of tires trying to find a good street/strip tire. I found that the Hoosier "Quik-Time" work excellent at the track and are Ok on the street. I have a set of 325/50-15's on a spare set of rims that I can keep on the car for extended periods of time. Because of the cost and the occasional burn out on Brice Rd, I also run a set belted N-50's.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the tire info. I think my traction problems will likely improve once I get around to installing my Sure-Grip unit. Well, that and the fact that I'm running a 10+ year old set of BFG street tires probably isn't helping matters much either.
I sure can put on a good smoke show, though, and I get both of em spinning even without the limited slip! [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 10-13-2007, 02:59 AM

Guys I thank you for the tips on my fuel starvation problem. These will help on the next excursion down the 1/8. My first car was a 340 Hemi Orange 4-speed DUSTER. I was 16 years old and the highway was mine. Man I had a blast in that car,but it all came to a metal crunching end. When a girl ran a stop sign and hit me broad side at about 70 MPH. But I enjoyed that ride for 3 years and it had quite the reputation on the street. That little 340 with a cam, headers, and holley 650 was one little street terror. I was out run twice in that car. Not to say there weren't faster cars, I just ran cars that I thought I could outrun. But I under estimated a 340 DEMON and a 396 Chevelle Malibu. Yeah right, like a 396 came in a Malibu. But you have to be careful and if they won't let you look under the hood, then theres a reason. Man that Chevelle kicked my butt. But the DEMON only beat me by a car and it was a close race, he had a car load and I was by myself. So he really had something in that car. Fun times to say the least, my parents prayers were the only thing that saved me and my lack of good sense. I have said those same prayers myself as I have 2 boys that have been bitten by the car bug too. But they have taken it to the track and that is where it belongs. You guys take care and be careful out there.