Old 10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Albeeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Second Chally off Production Line On Sale On Ebay

I would argue your point earlier about the majority of the Mustang's success being post-2002....my contention is that if the Mustang wasn't so successful from Day 1, they'd probably still be building Challengers, Camaros and/or GTOs present day, wouldn't they? Believe me, although I've owned 5 Fords; I am in now way married to Ford. I am getting a Challenger, it's just a matter of time! I think Tom Petty said it best: "The waiting is the hardest part." So true TP!

Also, I think we're splitting hairs here on what is deemed "limited edition". Put it this way - 30 years from now, I guarantee an all-original 2007 Shelby GT500 in mint condition will sell for considerably more money than what the original Owner paid for it back in the day. Whether that kind of scenario constitutes "limited edition" status or not, I don't know. Regardless, ANY Shelby manufactured in 2007 is considered an instant collector car. I don't think there is anything anyone could argue that would convince me otherwise.

Also, your statement earlier ("There should be plenty of buyers to satisfy Chrysler, Ford AND GM with a great number of baby-boomers reaching their financial summits now") seems to indicate your belief that the Challenger's target market is just the "Baby Boomer" generation. Certainly those are the folks that purchased, drove and loved the orginals. However, I have to believe that I'm not the only 34 year old Gen. X'er out there with a hard-on for this car AND the money to buy it! If Dodge is pricing and marketing this car specifically for Baby Boomers only, I think they are making a huge mistake! Let's continue to let Chevy's Corvette be the premier destination for Baby Boomers who are on the market for an American sports car icon! If the Challenger is going to be effective in competing with the Mustang, it needs to be priced and marketed as such. Let's see if Dodge can actually do it...God I hope so!!!!

[quote]ORIGINAL: BootCamp

Before I make any other statements, I acknowledge your affinity for Ford products. That in itself (as you proclaimed in your initial post here) slants your opinion. But that's okay. I can appreciate your loyalty.

The fact is that the Mustang has been "the only (pony car) game in town" since 2002. That accounts for the majority of it's success. No special loyalty, marketing, or "edition" is required when one has a monopoly on a market/segment. Kudos to Ford for recognizing that and making the most of it. GM and Chrysler are late getting on the boat.
What I call a "limited edition" is 5000 or fewer cars. With over 10,000 2007 GT500's alone - not counting all of the other "variants" - I wouldn't call that a limited edition, but that's only MY opinion.

If the buyer of the #2 '07 Shelby wasn't aware of how many were being produced, as well as how many other variations Ford and partners would create, I'd say he should be pretty p*$$#d off - the value of his "collectable" is worth far less that he had originally hoped/planned, so his investment will be very difficult to recover at ANY time. Aditionally, he had a very good idea of what the production car would look like since the GT was already being produced/sold, and the Shelby has ALWAYS looked agressive, but similar, with the addition of cosmetic bolt-ons/embellishments, suspension improvements, and more HP under the hood.

When Chrysler LLC releases the Challenger (which we still haven't seen a production car of ANY kind), I expect dealers to get whatever they can for them, and yes, I'm sure (initially) they'll be over MSRP. But Dodge won't mark up the Challenger - the dealerships will and at their own risk. I won't pay over sticker for a car - never have, never will. I will not be gouged for a car that will be worth 20% less than sticker as soon as I drive it off of the lot. What you call "the big bo