Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Second Chally off Production Line On Sale On Ebay

Old 09-29-2007, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Chally off Production Line On Sale On Ebay

Not sure if anyone has posted this already...but here's the det's

http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/09/28...nd-on-to-ebay/

Paypal limits are what I wonder?

I'm sniping!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...spagenameZWDVW

Old 09-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Second Chally off Production Line On Sale On Ebay

I guess this give us some indicator as to what is available initially.

The vehicles chosen to be auctioned is an SRT models with HEMI(R) Orange exterior, hood stripes, a 6.1-liter HEMI V8 engine, and a five-speed automatic transmission with Autostick.

The opening bid was $25k but as we right this the highest bid is $85,100 with a total of 46 bids. The auction ends October 3rd, 2007.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'm down for the second year purchase anyway....I wish they'd leak something more reassuring on the tranny's being offered and at what levels (w/ what engines etc). A guy I was talking w/ at football game last week said he was at indy in 06 and they had the concept on display, he inquired as to what the top-o-the-line one would run an they guy said low 60's....

If that's the case......

I am optimistic, the new Owners are hopefully smart enough to find their price points and balance margin with volume.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

UPDATE Sold for 175K

http://www.redletterdodge.com/

–Challenger fans take note: The production version is being test-marketed and we’ll take you behind the scenes of one of these sessions in Orange County, Calif.

Wonder where this is gonna be?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 AM

I wish I had 176K!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

I was more interested in the test-marketing alluded to on the site......I'd certainly volunteer, if they need someone to drive it as a commuter car! ;-)

Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following auction news was provided by redletterdodge.com on 10/4/07. Also take note that Dodge is being test markeing the Challenger in Orange County, CA:

"So that’s that. A dealer in Idaho won out in the end, bidding more than $175,000 for the Challenger #2. And, as we said before, all proceeds are going to charity.

Here’s some statistics on the auction:

Final bid: $175,407.07
Auction Page Views: 29,871 (as of close)
# Bids: 119
# Unique Bidders: 22

In other news, in our bid to keep the Red Letter community informed, let’s take a look at what we’ve got planned in the next few days:

–We’ll meet one of our Grand Caravan engineers who lives, breathes and eats the auto biz

–Challenger fans take note: The production version is being test-marketed and we’ll take you behind the scenes of one of these sessions in Orange County, Calif.

–And yes…with the tremendous flow of questions, we’ll be tackling your inquiries, which is actually one of our favorite things to do here. Rest assured, if you ask a question, we’ll do our best to answer it in a future post. We like to line up a serious expert from Dodge for you and jeez…these folks are busy. But yes, yes…we know! Questions about b-pillars, diesels in Europe, mark-ups on the 2008 Challenger and more are in the hopper for next week. Stay tuned…"

Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 AM

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride...

FLAT ROCK, Mich.--June 27, 2006--The Barrett-Jackson Auction Co.

-- AutoAlliance International Inc. -- home for assembly of the Ford Mustang -- management delivers the keys to the first Ford Shelby GT500 sold to the public

-- Auction winner who paid $600,000 for 2007 Shelby GT500 coupe VIN#0002 at the 35th Anniversary Barrett-Jackson "World's Greatest Collector Car Event" in Scottsdale, Ariz.

If my math is correct that's nearly 3.5 times more than "Chally #2" went for at auction!!! To what do you Mopar-or-NoCar heads attribute this most embarassing schlacking to?

Ford Shelby GT500: Kickin @ss and taking names...on the road AND at the auction block!

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...27/013030.html
Old 10-08-2007, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

-- Auction winner who paid $600,000 for 2007 Shelby GT500 coupe VIN#0002 at the 35th Anniversary Barrett-Jackson "World's Greatest Collector Car Event" in Scottsdale, Ariz.

If my math is correct that's nearly 3.5 times more than "Chally #2" went for at auction!!! To what do you Mopar-or-NoCar heads attribute this most embarassing schlacking to?

Ford Shelby GT500: Kickin @ss and taking names...on the road AND at the auction block!
My understanding is that the Ebay auction for Challenger #2 was open ONLY to dealers, where the GT500 auction was open to anyone. Rest assured, Challenger #2 WILL be resold for a sizable profit to a private buyer, NOT unlike the Shelby GT500 mentioned in the previous post. That sale will probably go unnoticed by the media circus that surrounded the auctions.

Consider what Ford and their dealers have been doing to their customers - marking up the Shelby's by 35-50% over MSRP. Do you think it's honorable to gouge the customers - the same people who've made the Mustang what it is - by offering a "limited edition" model ONLY if they're willing to pay a HUGE markup (and stuff the dealerships pockets full of cash)?

And exactly HOW limited is the Shelby GT500 edition? (I still see dozens of them listed on Ebay - and STILL for well over MSRP!) We have the Shelby GT, the Shelby GT500, the Shelby GT500KR, the Shelby GT SuperSnake, the Shelby GT-H, the Shelby CS6, ......and we haven't mentioned the Roush Mustangs, the Saleen Mustangs......the list goes on and on "ad nauseum". How many of each are being made? Does anyone know? Were all of these "variants" available or even mentioned when the $600,000.00 Shelby GT500 #00002 was auctioned off?

To answer your question, "To what do you Mopar-or-NoCar heads attribute this most embarassing schlacking to?", the answer is in two quotes:
"A fool and his money are soon parted" - Thomas Tusser (1524-1590), and
"There's a sucker born every minute" - accredited to P T Barnum (1810-1891).
If there's ANY embarassment felt, it should be by the poor bastage who spent $600K for Shelby GT500 #00002. He thought he was getting something rare...... Was HE wrong!?!?!?!?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 AM

OK, very good point about Chally #2 only being available at auction to dealerships and not to individual end-users. I did not take that in to account previously. Still a pretty sizeable gap in price though, any way you want to slice it.

To answer your question earlier - there were a total of 10,844 2007 Shelby GT500s (coupe & convertible) sold. Thus, the vehicle will still be considered "exclusive" in most circles. I do agree that we have seen Shelbys in (too) many trims lately, but I have to believe that the geniusses over at Blue Oval wouldn't be building all these varying trims if there wasn't a real demand for them. Ford's marketing strategy for the Mustang is to offer their customers a "steed for every need". This philosophy could be the reason why the Challenger went out of business after 1974 or why there hasn't been a Chevy Camaro produced since 2002. I also have a famous quote that i would like to share with you: "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door," (Ralph Waldo Emerson). Think about that...not only does it apply to the GT500 or any other Shelby derivative for that matter; it also applies to the Challenger. Which we all agree will be stealing market share from the Ford Mustang.

Other production numbers that I'm aware of are as follows: Shelby GT - approx. 6,000 units; Shelby GT-H - 500 units; Shelby GT500 Super Snake (which is a post-production title given to the GT500 after receiving enhancements to its handling, styling and power; tuning options will range from a warranted 600 HP V8 to over 725 HP (unwarranted). Only a limited number of Super Snakes (I'm guessing approx. 1,000) will be built per model year at the Shelby Automobiles facility in Las Vegas beginning in late 2007. And then there is my all-time favorite, the Shelby GT500KR. Shelby GT500KR arrives in spring 2008 in an exclusive run of only 1,000 units. In getting back to your earlier point that we are seeing Shelbys "ad nauseum", at the end of the day they are most certainly NOT being mass-produced. And do I think it's fair that Ford is marking them up? I guess my response would be...define "fair." The day any auto maker, let alone FoMoCo, decides they've stopped liking money, that's the same day you or I could walk in to a dealership and get our favorite model for FREE! Point being, if you are a for-profit company and revenue matters, you're going to capitalize on any opportunity to make money. If not, you're not making sound business decisions. And another thing - if you don't like paying markups, that's fine...step aside and let the big boys play. To answer your other question about people being aware of these other variants at the time of the GT500 auction (2006) - I would say NO, they were likely unaware of these future trims at the time. That could certainly be another reason for the huge discrepancy in what the Challenger went for at auction versus what the Shelby GT500 went for, but that would be speculation onmy part.

In Ford's defense - I believe they were very up front with the general public when they initially said that they planned on building approximately 30,000 Shelby units over the course of three years (starting in 2007). Compare that to the confusion/frustration some of us have on a whole host of issues ranging from...how many units of the Challenger do they plan on building; whether it will be a 5 speed or 6 speed manual; will a convertible really be offered in 2009 or not; how much the Challenger will REALLY cost us; will there be a V6 available....all the way to when will they FINALLY be available at our local dealership! Lots of questions not too many straight answers! And by the way, if you don't think Dodge is gonna markup the Challenger once it finally does arrive, three years too late I might add, then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell ya! In all fairness to Dodge though, I respect their desire stay hush on a number of th

Quick Reply: Second Chally off Production Line On Sale On Ebay