Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 PM
BootCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Second Chally off Production Line On Sale On Ebay

I'm not saying Chrysler is producing the Challenger exclusively for baby-boomers. I'm saying the Shelby GT500, Challenger and Camaro are targeting that segment of the market. I'm sure if someone had the $$$, no one would be asked, let alone turned away from a dealership because of their age, sex, race, religion, what have you.

I've owned just about every make of car (with the exception of the exotics and EuroElites). I stick with what gives me fewest problems - best value for my dollar - and that's been with MOPAR's.

$2,160,000.00 was brought for the 1970 Hemi Cuda Convertible at a Barrett Jackson auction - I believe it was Scottsdale, 2006 (but I'm not positive). That's the highest price ever brought for a production muscle car.
The Hemi Cuda base MSRP'd for around $5400.00, with the Hemi option (426 @ 425 HP) constituting $900.00 of the price. There were 666 Hemi Cuda's produced in 1970.
1965 was the first year Ford offered the GT350, and 1967 was the first year Ford offered the GT500. 2050 GT500's were made in 1967 with a base price of $4,195.00.
Most of the best ones I've seen auctioned at Barrett Jackson auctions bring in the $600,000 range - what the buyer of the 2007 Shelby GT500 #0001 paid for his new.[/i]
There were 1251 1968 Shelby GT500KR's made with the 428 CobraJet engine (335 HP), which had a base MSRP of $4,495.00, was nearly a half second slower than the Hemi Cuda from 0-60, nearly a second slower in the 1/4 mile, but weighed 700 lbs less than the Hemi.[/i]
What does this say? Historically;
Hemi's cost more up front, are faster, heavier, rarer, worth more, and (apparently) more sought after, therefore a better investment.

You can buy whatever tickles your fancy. I still want the best value for my dollar, so I'll wait for the Challenger with the best engine/tranny combo I can get, and I won't pay more than MSRP, even if it means I have to wait, or get a used/repo'd one and save myself the "gas guzzler tax" we have to pay on a new one.
If Chrysler is foolish and doesn't have something extremely close to the concept, or they have drivetrain combo's that don't "stir me", or the price is rediculous, I'll look for other options. I don't expect Chrysler (or ANY manufacturer) to "give cars away", but keep the prices competitive with the other "pony cars" that offer similar performance.
I WANT this car, I don't NEED this car. Therein, I control the negotiations and the price. If the dealer wants to gouge me, there's no negotiation - I walk out - sale lost. Not so many "reserve" of $60K+ auctions on Ebay for GT500s anymore. People are tired of paying $15-20K over the $40-45K MSRP on GT500s, so the prices are slowly falling. Dealers are waking up. Buy a new GT500 today for $55,000.00 - you get a year newer car for $5-10K less than the first ones sold for. People aren't stupid - they just take a little time to smarten up.

I don't think we really disagree in basis. We're looking for the same thing - a great looking car for a good price with the right equipment in it.