Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LA 2007: U.S.-spec Nissan GT-R huge performance bargain at $69,850

The price difference between that and a Z06 is so minute I don't think it is fair to refer to that as such a baring in the sports car class; however, if it is a supercar class competitor, then it would be a bargin when comparing it against similar performing cars from Ferrari and other Italian supercars. I have my doubts about this car's success. Twin-turbo V6, AWD sport cars have not gone over very well in this country. The Supra and the 3000GT/Stealth although very nice cars, were not examples of success for their respective companies, hence the reason why they are not still in production.

As much as I like the VQ, I would have long-term reliability concerns about this. In my opinion it is better to use displacement as opposed to forced air induction as it will likely ware out quicker even after being reinforced. It also leaves less to modify later as the forced air induction route as already been utilized. I realize that you can always get upgraded turbos and the sort, but the upgraded turbos could be added to an engine that already made that level of power without the turbos and cause a greater increase as it was originally able to produce the power without the turbos.

Skippy, I'm not sure how well the 3.5L takes forced air-induction as neither it or its block siblings (3.3L, 3.8L, 3.2L, 2.7L, 4.0L) have ever offered a turbo in a production model car. It is true though that their was a concept (I think it was the Copperhead) that offered a supercharged version of the 2.7L, but that was never put into production. It is rumored that Chrysler tried adding a "medium-boost turbo" to the 3.8L OHV that they were considering to offer as a police package in the earily 90s Dodge Dynasty and it did not go over well and never met production. What I'm interested to see is whether Chrysler is planning on making the new Phoenix V6 family with plans of forced air-induction as they have with the "World Engine" I4s.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts