View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Plum70Rag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Dash Clock

When my dad and I put my Challenger together, I couldn't stand the blank in the right hand hole in my dash, so I set out to get a clock. If that didn't turn out to be a fiasco. I found a clock, but it didn't have a set knob (notice the goofy thing comes out the bottom of the dash), and it didn't work. I got a quartz retrofit movement (the one on the right in the pic) and put the thing together without a knob, and just used a jewler's screwdriver to set it. This was all about fifteen years ago. Over the years I tried to find a knob that would work, and finally found a whole gauge pod with a clock -- with the knob. But when I put the knob on, something inside the clock promptly started skipping and I couldn't set it anyway. AARGH. I think my dad is still laughing.

Over the last few weeks, I took time to pull the clock out of the dash and tear it apart to figure out what was wrong. After several fruitless evenings I finally figured out that one of the gears (the one I pointed a green arrow to) was jumping out of mesh when I tried to turn the mechanism. A small spacer fixed it right up. Hopefully this ends the saga of the clock!

Here are a few pics -- Enjoy!