View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First on the Block???

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

My car previous to my current commuter was killed by going to fast on an exit ramp right after it rained (yeah I knew the mantra right before I got into the curve too hot "Roads are always most slippery right during the first part of the rain, extracting oil...blah, blah blah....I know it's true...but it makes me wince to hear my mother's voice in my head) did a 360 and then some and t-boned the guard rail....had 240K on that car (Subaru Legacy 96 before they started to get expensive).....anyhoo, my point is to wear vehicles out. My commuter car now was paid for in Cash $10,000 w/ 1000 miles on it less than a year old. I'm at 61k right now (had it for two years last month) trouble free (knock on wood) I will ride it into its or my grave. I was never a leaser....I so badly want to put half a million or a millions miles on a car.....I've had two make 240K before they were killed (first one I gave to a friend told him she burns just enough oil to either replace the rings OR be sure to change it every 3K, he didn't and she's dead now :-( )

Plum70Rag, that's encouraging that a K Car made it that far....wasn't the Dodge Dynasty was it...man I loved those vehicles...what a value...
Ouch sounds like you got lucky to survive that. Yes the Dodge Dynasty was an extended K car. My dad had two of those. From what I have seen the life he is talking about is by no means rare on a K based car. I have known plenty of people who have put over 200K on them and they were still going. The Ks might not have been the fanciest (though a few of them were) or the fastest (except for the Spirit R/T, Daytona, and Omni GLHS), but there were reliable as long as you got right powertrain and they were pretty cheap to maintain. This is why I don't believe that the Japanese are automatically superior. I have seen enough K cars to prove that the Big Three have the capability to be just as good if not better.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts