Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

First on the Block???

Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First on the Block???

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

My car previous to my current commuter was killed by going to fast on an exit ramp right after it rained (yeah I knew the mantra right before I got into the curve too hot "Roads are always most slippery right during the first part of the rain, extracting oil...blah, blah blah....I know it's true...but it makes me wince to hear my mother's voice in my head) did a 360 and then some and t-boned the guard rail....had 240K on that car (Subaru Legacy 96 before they started to get expensive).....anyhoo, my point is to wear vehicles out. My commuter car now was paid for in Cash $10,000 w/ 1000 miles on it less than a year old. I'm at 61k right now (had it for two years last month) trouble free (knock on wood) I will ride it into its or my grave. I was never a leaser....I so badly want to put half a million or a millions miles on a car.....I've had two make 240K before they were killed (first one I gave to a friend told him she burns just enough oil to either replace the rings OR be sure to change it every 3K, he didn't and she's dead now :-( )

Plum70Rag, that's encouraging that a K Car made it that far....wasn't the Dodge Dynasty was it...man I loved those vehicles...what a value...
Ouch sounds like you got lucky to survive that. Yes the Dodge Dynasty was an extended K car. My dad had two of those. From what I have seen the life he is talking about is by no means rare on a K based car. I have known plenty of people who have put over 200K on them and they were still going. The Ks might not have been the fanciest (though a few of them were) or the fastest (except for the Spirit R/T, Daytona, and Omni GLHS), but there were reliable as long as you got right powertrain and they were pretty cheap to maintain. This is why I don't believe that the Japanese are automatically superior. I have seen enough K cars to prove that the Big Three have the capability to be just as good if not better.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 AM

You're right, RLSH, about the Dynasty being and extended K Car. Matter of fact, nearly every front wheel drive vehicle Chrysler built between 1981 and 1994 was a K Car. Even the minvans. Only the Omni wasn't, but the original K Cars weren't far from being an extended Omni! That platform saved Chrysler's sorry hide in the '80s. The Neon ended its reign; what a piece of junk that was...

I slightly missed on my numbers on my K Car. It's an '88 Reliant with 256k (not 257), and I've put on 116k of those (not 160). That out of the way, it's a 2.5 (Chrysler NOT Mitsubishi as many think) auto. I got it from my mom at 140k, she got it from the original owner at around 80k. I got it in 1997 when my wife was pregnant with our first because the a/c worked -- and despite some soaked hoses, with a K-mart R134 retro, the a/c STILL works!

The trick with the 2.2/2.5 is to keep coolant in them. The aluminum head will warp in a heartbeat if you overheat them. I like to say this car has been abused but not neglected. It's BEAT, but never missed an oil change. Hit two deer... ran paper route for two years... ran a hole in the oil pan at 180k, filled it up and drove 3 hours home through a downpour... You can accumulate a lot of stories in ten years with a car.

Here's the crazy part. My kids LOVE THIS CAR. I'm absolutely serious here; I've never tried, but I bet if I told them I had to sell either the Challenger or the K, they'd want to keep the K! They want me to restore it... Ugh.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Plum70Rag, wow very cool I like the fact you were able to rack that many miles on a Mopar. It encourages me to consider the Caravan.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Administrator

I want to get a challenger, but im not a "wait in line" kind of person...especially for a first-run vehicle. I will admit, that I do have one of the first batch PS3s, but that was only because we found someone on ebay that put the auction up wrong, so we paid almost the same price, shipped to our door, that it would have cost us to buy it at a store with tax...i think that we paid 4 dollars more.
however, amanda has been waiting in a line every morning with the hopes that a Wii will show up, as that is all that her son has really requested for christmas, but after waiting for the place to open at 10, getting there at 6am, and working in the car for those four hours, we still are empty handed...but thats because of the people buying them up only to post on ebay...for three times the price. [:@]
Old 12-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, a lot of place were cool and would only sell people one (to avoid that same predicament)....Nintendo folks have me confused with their marketing. They spend money advertising (unnecessarily) to drive demand, then don't increase supply (more revenue from more sales), then don't bump the price (good for us, but contradictory to the classic micro economics model, right?)

Keep an eye on EB (call before you go, ask when people are supposed to get in) another thing you can do is hit wal mart, ask when they expect them in, if you develop a little rapport with the person you're talking with sometimes they'll hook you up and put one to the side for you.

Good luck. These things are hoot!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 AM

My kid got a Wii for his birthday in July after nagging the crap out of me. Now he's doing the same thing for a Nintendo DS. No way. He's getting a couple more games for the Wii. He can sell his GameCube, Gameboy Advance, and PS2 if he wants a DS. five frigging systems and he wants another. I've been suckered enough! I'm no techo-geek. Never had a Walkman, Discman, or ipod. Don't like crap in my ears. Use my cell phone to call people only. Nver use a cam corder and only use the digital camera to take a picture of the kids or something I want to sell online. Prefer a Desktop to a laptop, but may get one so I surf the web anywhere in the house. But I do like HDTV with flat screens and cool cars.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

well, i bit the bullet for the boy and sat outside in the snow from 330am to 830am sunday to get a Wii. while i sat at target in one of the hardest december storms michigan has seen in like 50 years, we got 8 inches of snow..it was unreal, and miserably cold..but i got one...

ebgames and gamestop are the devil...they have been hoarding Wii's because of their upcoming BS "voucher program"...
Old 12-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mikesan, remember Gamecube games work with WII! :-)