Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Mikesan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Senate passes bill increasing fuel economy standards

I'm generally against the federal government shoving a way of life (more fuel efficient cars) down our throats, but this is probably a good piece of legislation. I'm less concerned with global warming than with our dependence on foreign oil. Don't like the ethanol portion of this bill. Not an efficient fuel source and likely to drive up the cost of corn based food. gonna make tortillas expensive in Mexico. Govt is gonna have to relent and allow more diesel engines as well. You can't just say increase from 25 to 35 mpg in 13 years and expect to do it with gas and ethanol. Another issue is there are so many options and safety features on cars now making them so heavy. Does the govt want cars without airbags, side impact beams, ESC, etc? Are consumers willing to give up NAV, power everything, heated seats, 20 inch rims? Will be interesting to see how Detroit, Europe, and Japan respond. I see a lot more Civic Si type cars and fewer American V8 coupes and sedans. Get one while you can.

If demand is there, manufs will make muscle cars. Gotta give up the Tahoe, Expedition, and Hemi SUVs and buy more Corollas and Cobalts as daily drivers. That will up the CAFE averages