Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Senate passes bill increasing fuel economy standards

Old 12-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Senate passes bill increasing fuel economy standards

i shave my head...
Old 12-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Heard tonight that 75% of the country that signed the Kyoto treaty have increased their green house emissions more than us. Yet all you hear is how bad we are....screw that noise. Why are we so gung ho to make ourselves EVEN LESS competitive in a global market.

Not about dumping mercury in streams or anything....but I'm not about to sign on to any fad just because it's popular to believe...I still remember in the 70's where they were predicting Particulate being pumped into the atmosphere was going to create a GLOBAL COOLING from reflecting and filtering out thermal radiation....bollocks!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

This is just an example of abuse of power. I would like to see us less dependent on foreign oil as well, but this does not solve anything. This does not produce an increase in supply of another fuel source that will actually work, it just ensures that nothing gets resolved. I find this so ironic considering how pretty much none of these politicians drive vehicles that get this kind of mileage in the first place. Most of them are the biggest "sinners" in the church of environmentalism.

Diesels are becoming more popular because they are more practical and have resolved the issues that they had with them back in the 80s, the fact that they won't allow them to produce more of them widespread ensures that we still won't have a better fuel mileage solution. We simply need to drill for more oil domestically and in areas where Hurricanes will not get in the way (i.e. off the west coast, in Alaska, and other areas were we know their is oil in and off the shores of our country). Ethanol sadly is not the solution as stated. I think what we should be looking into is the other biofuel Butanol. That actually gets better fuel mileage supposively than gasoline and can be used 100% in any gasoline power car without needing special modifications that Ethanol needs to run 85%. It can be shipped via a pipeline unlike Ethanol and has several other advantages.

True environmental issues are things like deliberate dumping of hazardous chemicals into lakes and not carbon dioxide.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts