Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Senate passes bill increasing fuel economy standards

Old 12-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senate passes bill increasing fuel economy standards

Senate passes bill increasing fuel economy standards

Story HighlightsNEW: Senate passes energy bill 86-8, sends bill to House

NEW: Top Senate Republican predicts President Bush will sign bill

Republicans block earlier version that increased taxes on oil companies

Bill includes requirement that automakers increase vehicle fuel economy

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate passed a trimmed-back energy bill Thursday that would bring higher-gas mileage cars and SUVs into showrooms in the coming decade and fill their tanks with ethanol.

The measure was approved with strong bipartisan support 86-8 after Democrats abandoned efforts to impose billions of dollars in new taxes on the biggest oil companies, unable by one vote to overcome a Republican filibuster against the new taxes.

The bill now goes to the House where a vote is expected next week. The White House issued a statement saying President Bush will sign the legislation if it reaches his desk, as is expected. Bush had promised a veto if the oil industry taxes were not removed.

The measure calls for the first major increase by Congress in required automobile fuel efficiency in 32 years, something the auto companies have fought for two decades.

The car companies will have to achieve an industrywide average 35 mile per gallon for cars, small trucks and SUVs over the next 13 years, an increase of 10 mpg over what the entire fleet averages today.

And it would boost use of ethanol to 36 billion gallons a year by 2022, a sevenfold increase, and impose an array of new requirements to promote efficiency in appliances, lighting and buildings.

This bill "will begin to reverse our addiction to oil. It's a step to fight global warming," said Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada.

Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky predicted President Bush will sign the bill.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Senate passes bill increasing fuel economy standards

I wonder if this means the Challengers will become collector items or just diosaurs?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

I was thinking the same thing....the second catastrophic meteor to end the muscle car era....probably collectors items.

I won't be selling mine. Hopefully anyone I heir to holds on to it as well.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

keep in mind that the auto industry can buck back with things...if the mustang exists, the challenger will exist...so long as chrysler doesnt screw it up..fuel concerns arent going to run off the mustang or the corvette, as they are american icons...so that cant be the excuse for the challengers demise, should it happen.

amandas grandfather has a 300C, and on a trip to texas, he got like 30mpg...a guy from MF has a new Z06, and on long highway stretches of conservative driving, he gets around 30mpg, although he gets like 6 around town...

Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 PM

It means the 2nd coming of the muscle car will be VERY short. Get yours soon!!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:38 AM

It all comes down to bad timing and bad planning. Had Chrysler and Chevy gotten a quicker jump on things, and been more serious, then we could have had wars like they were back in the 70s. Muscle competition between the Mustang, Challenger and that poor excuse for a Camaro. A nice car, but definitely not a Camaro. Anyway, with gas prices the way they are and with this threat on the horizon, this may be a war like it was in the 70s, but it may only be between the wealthy that can afford it or the lucky ones that got the Mustangs now or earlier. It's a shame.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

keep in mind that the auto industry can buck back with things...if the mustang exists, the challenger will exist...so long as chrysler doesnt screw it up..fuel concerns arent going to run off the mustang or the corvette, as they are american icons...so that cant be the excuse for the challengers demise, should it happen.

amandas grandfather has a 300C, and on a trip to texas, he got like 30mpg...a guy from MF has a new Z06, and on long highway stretches of conservative driving, he gets around 30mpg, although he gets like 6 around town...

Although it is true that many people are able to get much better than the EPA's ratings, the problem is that these stupid laws do not take into account that these ratings are not completely accurate. Now, I don't have a problem with raising the standards a little, but this is just unrealistic. Trucks will not be able to get anywhere close to 35mpg and don't think for one minuet that this is an accident. Both parties are under the choke collar of radical environmentalism and this is going to hurt us more than it is going to help us. Just watch for the unemployment numbers rise as fuel prices continue to rise and cars get smaller and shotty.

At least this will give us 13 years to get a good car before they ruin the car industry.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM

I'm generally against the federal government shoving a way of life (more fuel efficient cars) down our throats, but this is probably a good piece of legislation. I'm less concerned with global warming than with our dependence on foreign oil. Don't like the ethanol portion of this bill. Not an efficient fuel source and likely to drive up the cost of corn based food. gonna make tortillas expensive in Mexico. Govt is gonna have to relent and allow more diesel engines as well. You can't just say increase from 25 to 35 mpg in 13 years and expect to do it with gas and ethanol. Another issue is there are so many options and safety features on cars now making them so heavy. Does the govt want cars without airbags, side impact beams, ESC, etc? Are consumers willing to give up NAV, power everything, heated seats, 20 inch rims? Will be interesting to see how Detroit, Europe, and Japan respond. I see a lot more Civic Si type cars and fewer American V8 coupes and sedans. Get one while you can.

If demand is there, manufs will make muscle cars. Gotta give up the Tahoe, Expedition, and Hemi SUVs and buy more Corollas and Cobalts as daily drivers. That will up the CAFE averages
Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

lets keep in mind that some scientific group made it official that the "hole" in the ozone layer her gotten progressively smaller over the past few years.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:22 AM

That's because women got rid of the big hair look of the 60's, 70's and 80's and cut back on hair spray!! So did the guys. Most of us seem to be bald due to genetics or by choice.

Quick Reply: Senate passes bill increasing fuel economy standards