Thread: Manual?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manual?

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

If you've never driven a manual transmission car, I wouldn't recommend you learn on a new car - especially one with high HP numbers (doesn't make it any easier).
Having a manual gives you more control and (I think) more road feel. You get more info from the stick than you do from the pedal on an automatic. Once you've mastered a manual transmission, it becomes second nature to you. It's not a distraction, or even something to concentrate on. It's part of the overall driving experience.

There are "pro's" and "con's" to both an automatic and a manual. I want to "drive" the car, and part of the "driving experience" - to me (especially in a muscle car) is manually shifting it.
BootCamp, I couldn't have said it better my self.

Here's my pro/con list for manual transmission cars...

Pros:
Cheaper (auto as an option adds to the list price)
Better fuel economy (unless you're a leadfoot)
Keeps you engaged and safer (even though it's another thing to pay attention to, it keeps you from turning your brain off while driving, which a lot of people do. try using a handheld cell phone while driving stick)
Much more satisfying driving experience (you're not at the whim of a computer deciding what gear is appropriate)
Makes the car slightly lighter (not noticeable, but autos are heavier)
Women seem to like it (or so my wife says)

Cons:
Aggravating as hell in a very hilly area (like San Francisco)
Probably not a good idea if you're constantly in stop n' go traffic (unless you have a strong left leg)
Makes it harder to loan your car to someone (wait, that's a pro, isn't it)
May make your car a little more difficult to sell (since most people can't drive stick)
Chris, that is a very good summary. I would also like to add that having a manual also enables you experience the road handling capablities better but if you have not driven a high performance car 500+ HP before I would suggest taking lessons. This car can get you in real trouble fast if you are not used to it. There are many high performance classes that teach car handling techniques.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.