Thread: Manual?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 08:09 PM
WhiteHeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manual?

OK, BootCamp answered this thread perfectly, I think, a few messages above. But that's not going to stop me from throwing in my two cents, so...

Here's a devil's advocate view of Chris' Pro list:

Pros:
Cheaper (auto as an option adds to the list price)
Yes.

Better fuel economy (unless you're a leadfoot)
Not always. My backup car (if I NEED a car before I can afford a Challenger) is an Eclipse GT. The Auto is rated higher MPG on that one. If some of the new tech of the 5.7 is only available to the auto then the Challenger could be similar.

Keeps you engaged and safer (even though it's another thing to pay attention to, it keeps you from turning your brain off while driving, which a lot of people do. try using a handheld cell phone while driving stick)
THAT'S exactly what I'm afraid of! Some people WILL try using a phone with a stick. As for me, I've eaten many a fast food meal on my way to class while driving a stick and I admit it isn't very safe!

Much more satisfying driving experience (you're not at the whim of a computer deciding what gear is appropriate)
Agreed, except for heavy traffic.

Makes the car slightly lighter (not noticeable, but autos are heavier)
Yes.

Women seem to like it (or so my wife says)
Unless your wife can't drive a stick and needs to borrow the car on occasion. OK, maybe that's a Pro after all!

One other point - Many of the Pros of driving a stick can be approximated with the Auto-Stick that most auto cars have now. I know it's not the same, but if you don't want the traffic hassle of a manual daily driver but still want an occasional thrill the Auto-Stick can be fun.