View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Yankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Camaro Goes Hybrid?

A big reason I still think that diesels haven't caught on here in the states is because alot of buyers still remember the godawful GM diesels of the late 70s/early 80s. Yes that's been well over 20 years now, but much of the buying public surely still remembers the horrid smell, sundial acceleration and their tendency to self-destruct in a rather short period of time. Granted, GM's diesel was a converted gas engine and I don't feel was a true representative of what diesels really are... but that image is still burned into the brains of many.

I still think with the advancements and refinement of diesels that they could make a great comeback here in the states, and not just be relegated to heavy-duty pickups. Another potential problem, however, is the price of diesel. Used to be that diesel was always a few cents cheaper than gasoline, now it's about 20-30 cents MORE than gas on an average...

As far as hybrids go, I think it's more of a socially conscious issue (and even a political statement) than anything else. The gas economy gain in hybrids isn't that great, but what better way is there to express to the world that you at least CARE about supposed environmental issues than driving a hybrid? It's all political posturing as far as I'm concerned.