Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Camaro Goes Hybrid?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Camaro Goes Hybrid?

A big reason I still think that diesels haven't caught on here in the states is because alot of buyers still remember the godawful GM diesels of the late 70s/early 80s. Yes that's been well over 20 years now, but much of the buying public surely still remembers the horrid smell, sundial acceleration and their tendency to self-destruct in a rather short period of time. Granted, GM's diesel was a converted gas engine and I don't feel was a true representative of what diesels really are... but that image is still burned into the brains of many.

I still think with the advancements and refinement of diesels that they could make a great comeback here in the states, and not just be relegated to heavy-duty pickups. Another potential problem, however, is the price of diesel. Used to be that diesel was always a few cents cheaper than gasoline, now it's about 20-30 cents MORE than gas on an average...

As far as hybrids go, I think it's more of a socially conscious issue (and even a political statement) than anything else. The gas economy gain in hybrids isn't that great, but what better way is there to express to the world that you at least CARE about supposed environmental issues than driving a hybrid? It's all political posturing as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Administrator

i think that one problem with diesels, is that SO many people who think "diesel engines" think about noisy, smokey diesels found in modified trucks, and semis...ive spoken with at least one person who was considering a diesel jeep, but her concern was the noise and smoke often associated with big diesel trucks.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Do you think the falling off of diesels in car, reduced the production of Diesel, making the supply go down and the price go up? I'm with you, I remember when diesel was a few cents cheaper and I see it's more expensive now....

Old 02-05-2008, 07:30 AM

I think you are right DS. I do remember when diesel was cheaper, now it is more expensive. I am sure they also use the excuse of the new clean fuel is more expensive to make.

I would love to convert my 90 ranger into deisel, but I can't really find a conversion kit. Or have the money really.

I saw in 4x4 Extreme on the Power Block SPike TV, they converted a Samarai with the VW Diesel engine. There is even a company that has a conversion kit for that vehicle because a lot of people were doing it.

I was hoping that Jeep would put the diesel engine into the wrangler. If they did that, that could be my next vehicle to replace my truck. once the Mustang is paid off. For hardware store runs, I could just hook up my trailer to it.

I also saw somewhere, Toyota is bringing their diesel engine tundra to the US. I have read, one of the reasons you see diesel engines all over the world, even in american car companies cars in other countries, is because they don't meet EPA regulations.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sure that the bad memories for some people are preventing them from buying diesels; however, I think that if they would use some Guerrilla Marketing tactics like what Ford has done to get Toyota and Honda customers to test their new cars, they could break through that barrier. I can't speak for the North East, nor can I speak for the west part of the country, but I can say that the people that I have talked to in the midwest are open minded to diesels, especially from my generation. When I talk to people about diesels, many of them think it sounds like a great idea. Many of them wouldn't be caught dead in a hybrid including myself. I read an article about Toyota trying to get people in this neck of the woods into hybrids and most of them said they would rather have diesels.

The new diesels are supposed to be 50 compatable, so I think they will be offered before long. I know that Volkswagen will be offering a diesel in the Jetta once again that sounds impressive and Honda is working on offering one here supposively in the Accord. I will admit, I might be tempted to buy a foreign car for a daily driver on this issue.

Yes, diesel isn't as cheap as it used to be, but the fuel saving difference is so significant it well over compensates for the cost difference just as buying regular gas compensates for the cost difference over E85.

Also remember that MB is selling diesels again and they are a luxury car, so think about what people not in the luxury market will accept.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Give 45 plus miles per gallon and a reliable service records and I'm interested living in the NE (of course that'll be in another 8 years when have I have over 200K on my Hyundai).

Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

The Jetta is supposively going to get somewhere in the 40s in the city and 50s on the highway. I don't know anything about the Accord at this point. Nebraska is in the midwest which proves my point that people in the midwest based on my discussions with people throughout the U.S.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM

I thought I read somewhere where the Liberty gets around 500 miles per tank. I am not sure what the tank size is, but I would imagine that puts it around 34 mph's if the tank is around 15 gallons?