Thread: Gear ratio
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gear ratio

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

while i agree that the manual is more efficient, your numbers are bit off...a manual trans is not 15 to 20 percent more efficient based on whp...unless im unclear on what numbers youre using...ive seen an MTX car dyno 5-8 percent better based on bhp..but not 20%

and in the event of some cars, the auto is better for the track, especially older cars. old MTXs were crude and inefficient...ive seen someone take a high 12 second cuda, and swap in a 4 speed, and slow the car down quite a bit. while its more efficient than the 727, it isnt as fluid, and time is lost in shifting...hell, even the fastest LS1 based GM cars have automatics...i know a guy who has a built 02 camaro, and when he went from the mtx to a built atx, he went from 12.1s to 11.80s...
The 15 to 20 percent #'s are from Factory Five and they know their stuff because they decide those things all the time in building cars.

Your 12 second Cuda is obviously for the 1/4 mile drag strip and I am talking about talking the road. Automatics are very consistent for the drag strip but if you want to feel the road
you need a manual tranny.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.