Notices
Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Gear ratio

Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gear ratio

ive seen people run mopar 8 3/4" rears with 9 second cars...no need for a dana, just a properly built mopar rearend...and they dont come built that way...
Old 03-06-2008, 11:55 AM

Damnsk,

I would not be surprised if DTS or other outfits that deal in Dana's might offer a swap out version. I also agree the 8 3/4 is plenty strong for the new Challenger too, just the Dana always came w/ hemi equipped, manual trans cars. Either one would be stronger than the Independent rear...as the Mustang guys can attest to.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:49 PM

Here's one from Road and Track 4.6 on an auto vette' and 4.8 on a manual 0-60 so what you assume is very wrong both are LS1 cars.
These rumors everyone talks about with manuals is bogus a lot of cars now are becoming a lot more effienct with auto transmistions.
While I agree manual cars handle a little better many auto cars are hands down faster. It show's true with the LS2 GTO also with the auto takeing a manual hands down by about the same margin.
My Hemi in my truck had a final gear option of 3.73 i think and 3.92 I being understanding of gear ratio's at the time went with the 3.92 which was no more than a few hundred dollar option.
Im very suprised that there isn't a 3.92 option in the challenger and am almost dissapointed in the 3.06 honestly. I think there should be a choice most definatly. The CAFE standards are across the board we need to get some cars running on AIR so we can get the ratio's we should be paying for
Yeah Hemi's hold the gears for a long time two, second to third is fun as heck but you can hold third to forth FOREVER. Just some thoughts Peace...
Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM

They are saying the manual SRT's will have 3:92's so there is some hope. I believe automatics will stay at 3:06
Old 03-18-2008, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the transmissions they use may have a real short first and second gear. So the rear gear at 3.08 may be sufficiant. You might be getting into granny gearing if you go too short on the rear. That is one use of a manual 6-speed. Spread the gears out and use short gears 1-3 and taller gears 4-6. I'm not so sure this is what is being done but it is the reason for the addition of 2 more gears for the 4 speed. This way you have the convenience of a short gear on take off with the gears spread out to taller gears on top.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

MrKrisSullivan, one example is not sufficient to completely prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. First of all, did they test both of these cars back to back or were these tests done in different articles which you are comparing. Secondly, you have to take into account of human error, even if its a press outlet with "professionals" not everyone is as talented as the next driver. The reviews I read showed the GTO being faster with the manual over the automatic. There is still the scientific math that shows that they are less efficient, you can't just ignore that either.

Another point, the transmission in your Ram and the one that will be offered in the Challenger are not the same. You have a Chrysler 545RFE, the Challenger will have the Mercedes built W5A580. Your gearing is like this

1st..............3.00
2nd(up).......1.67
2nd(down)...1.50
3rd..............1.00
4th..............0.75
5th..............0.67

The one in the Challenger has the following:

1st..............3.59
2nd.............2.19
3rd..............1.41
4th..............1.00
5th..............0.83

The W5A580 is geared more for shorter gearing which means that if they want to maintain their current fuel mileage with the 6.1L, they will have to keep the gearing they have. The manual's numbers haven't been released yet, so we don't know which set of gears they will be using, but whatever it is. It certainly provides a much taller overall final drive ratio combined with the 3.73 axle ratio than the 2.82 and .83 combo found in the R/T, since the R/T will have the same HWY mileage despite not having MDS with the manual while the auto still has it. I would tend to think that the SRT-8s rumored 3.92 axle-ratio with the manual will probably translate into something like 20-21mpg on the HWY under the new standards.

lear4406: You are right. They have to be careful not to overdo it. I expect they will have close gearing on the manual and will hopefully be able to go to at least 60 while still in 1st gear.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-20-2008, 04:28 PM

Sounds like they are calibrating it pretty carefully because the other variable is tire size. I noticed the freshly released specs for R/T's and SRT's w/ Manual trans reference 3:73 w/ 18" wheels and 3:92 w/ 20" rims. In addition, they do point out that '09 automatics will have a "more aggressive low gear" for better launches. All this coupled w/ a truly "off button" for the EPS" just warms my heart!!