View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 02:28 PM
71R/T Charger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: chrome clad wheels

I figured it up the other day. For sake of comparison, with a 1 to 1 ratio at 3000 rpm the 20s with 3.92s would be about 2mph slower and slightly quicker accelerating than the 18s with 3.73s. If they both used the same rear end ratio then the 20s would be about 1 mph faster and slightly slower accelerating. No real way to gauge the effect of the moment of inertia of larger wheels. Probably enough to notice on a track, but not the seat of the pants. Without the steeper gear it could be enough to make performance minded folks like me think twice about the extra 1300 for 20s. Why pay more for a theoretically slower car. In fact the 3.92s are the main reason Im thinking about the 20s, I do slightly prefer the look of the 18 inch size wheel and tire package, although prefer the actual chrome clad wheels. I have considered getting the 20s then switching to an aftermarket 18 down the road. Then I would have to get a power tuner. Only for the ability to reprogram the computer for tire diameter of course. [sm=badbadbad.gif]