View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 AM
BLK 6050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wingcars/Superbirds and Daytonas

You are all correct.....Chrysler lost a lot of money on each wingcar they built (both Daytona's and Superbird's) so they didn't want to invest a lot of time and money in their construction. The vinyl top covered the sometimes "poor" body work that went into the rear window plug. With the vinyl top they didn't have to "finish" the body work like they had to on the Daytona. When I say them...I am really talking about Creative Industries as they did all the special body work on standard RTs and Roadrunners.
And by the way "all" the special body parts are metal not fiberglass as reported in more than one auto mag, but for the fender scoops (for tire clearance) and headlight assemblies (same one used for both Daytona and Superbird, and the only special body part that is interchangable between the two models). Unless you count the front spoiler which is also the same for both models.
I remember some people laughing at my Superbird back in the day........I guess in a way I had the last laugh since these are the same people paying big $$$$ for the same car they made fun of back then....
**These cars were built back when Auto Makers had to build, and then offer to the public any car they wanted to race.....unlike today when they are all the same bodies for the most part with the only real difference being the decals and engines.........