Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Wingcars/Superbirds and Daytonas

Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wingcars/Superbirds and Daytonas

ORIGINAL: Yankee

Here's a good writeup on the Superbirds and the Daytonas... this guy really seems to know his stuff

http://wikicars.org/en/Plymouth_Superbird
The Wikicars site has a lot of interesting "facts", but not all of it is correct.
In regards to the Richard Petty Connection:
"Petty was suppostedly not happy with the way the new-for-1968 Plymouth Road Runner bodystyle was aerodynamically unfriendly compared to the equivalent Fords"
TRUE, but the whole story is that Petty wanted to run one of the new Charger 500 Aerobody cars and Plymonth wouldn't allow that. They wanted to keep Petty in a Plymonth. Petty felt this put him at a disadvantage, so he went to Ford.
As a side note, most all the Ford teams wouldn't share information with Petty, seeing him as "a wolf in the hen house". He was on his own, and still won..
"The Headlight buckets and turn signals are also different"
Both FALSE and TRUE, as the buckets ARE the same, however the turn signals are different
"Although this was known as the Road Runner Superbird, the Superbird was really more of a GTX than a Road Runner (but perhaps Plymouth didn't feel GTX Superbird rolled off the tongue like Road Runner Superbird did). For example, the Superbird shared the GTX's dashboard and interior that was standard on upper-level Satellites. Its drivetrains mirrored the GTX as well, such as the 375 hp 7.2L (440 cid) Super Commando V8 was standard (instead of the Road Runner's 335 hp 383 V8), with the 390 hp 440 3x2 Six-Pack and 425 hp 426 2x4 Hemi V8s as options. A 4-speed manual (with the ultra-cool pistol-grip shifter) or 3-speed automatic transmission could be had with any engine, and the automatic could have a column or floor console shift. All Superbirds had power front-disc brakes and the split top/bottom taillights as standard equipment (again, like the GTX)"
FALSE, all Superbirds started life as Road Runners not GTXs. The GTX was an upper scale version of the Road Runner with more dress up items such as more chrome and up scale interior. The Superbird did not come with this up scale level of interior or exterior chrome. It was all standard Road Runner. And, in fact the dash is entirely different between the Satellite and the GTX/Road Runner which has the Rallye instrumentation. Also, the wood dash from the GTX was never offered on the Superbird. You could however, get an upscale SE interior on the Daytona...but again not on the Superbird. And the split top/bottom taillights were Road Runner as well, they are the same as the GTX. Only the Satellite came with no split across the taillight.

This is why Universities do not want students using Wiki.... site for reseach...some good facts and some not so good.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: BLK 6050
"The Headlight buckets and turn signals are also different"
Both FALSE and TRUE, as the buckets ARE the same, however the turn signals are different
I've never known of the headlight buckets to be interchangeable - not saying they AREN'T... guess I'll have to do some digging to find out for sure.

"Although this was known as the Road Runner Superbird, the Superbird was really more of a GTX than a Road Runner (but perhaps Plymouth didn't feel GTX Superbird rolled off the tongue like Road Runner Superbird did). For example, the Superbird shared the GTX's dashboard and interior that was standard on upper-level Satellites. Its drivetrains mirrored the GTX as well, such as the 375 hp 7.2L (440 cid) Super Commando V8 was standard (instead of the Road Runner's 335 hp 383 V8), with the 390 hp 440 3x2 Six-Pack and 425 hp 426 2x4 Hemi V8s as options. A 4-speed manual (with the ultra-cool pistol-grip shifter) or 3-speed automatic transmission could be had with any engine, and the automatic could have a column or floor console shift. All Superbirds had power front-disc brakes and the split top/bottom taillights as standard equipment (again, like the GTX)"
FALSE, all Superbirds started life as Road Runners not GTXs. The GTX was an upper scale version of the Road Runner with more dress up items such as more chrome and up scale interior. The Superbird did not come with this up scale level of interior or exterior chrome. It was all standard Road Runner.
The article says more of a GTX than a Road Runner, it didn't say it wasn't a Road Runner - I suppose you could say it effectively split the difference between the 2.

And, in fact the dash is entirely different between the Satellite and the GTX/Road Runner which has the Rallye instrumentation.
Wasn't the Rallye dash an option on the Sport Satellites? I think it was...

And the split top/bottom taillights were Road Runner as well, they are the same as the GTX. Only the Satellite came with no split across the taillight.
Not all Road Runners had the split taillights, but all GTXs did.

This is why Universities do not want students using Wiki.... site for reseach...some good facts and some not so good.
Well hey... I did the best I could
Old 09-28-2008, 07:50 PM

Like I said, overall the site is factual, just a few little bits of information that are incorrect. It may sound like I am splitting hairs, but just want to keep the record straight.

The headlight buckets are interchangeable. I have owned both an original Superbird and a Daytona (clone with stock nose) and the buckets fit both. I will look for my backup information to prove this as being a fact. You can also check with either of the wingcar sites to verify that this is indeed the case.

As for the Road Runner/GTX statement, the GTX is basically an upscale Road Runner. In fact Plymouth actually marketed the GTX as a "Gentleman's Road Runner". It carried a higher price tag because of the extra chrome and upscale interior, whereas the Road Runner was marketed as a plain all performance street machine with none of the housepower robbing extras. None of the Superbirds came with up scale interiors as they to were all performance, so stating that the Superbird is more GTX than Road Runner is an incorrect statement, Unless the author was referring to only engine choices, which would be closer to that offered on the GTX, since no 383's were offered on the GTX only the 440 4-bbl, 440 6-bbl, and the 426 Hemi (same as the Superbird). Plus the option availability was limited on the Superbird with several limitations such as no ram air, no AC, no rear windor defroster to name but a few.

As for the Rallye dash, it was not available on the Sport Satellites. They had the standard Satellite dash. But having said that....it doesn't mean that a few were never built. To many never offered options have turned up on old Mopars that should never have been. So when it comes to Chrysler......NEVER SAY NEVER! As an example, power windows were never offered on the Superbird, but in fact there are two or three "documented" birds with factory power windows.....go figure, so it is possible, just not likely.

As for the split tail lights...All Road Runners and GTX cars had them. Only Satellites, both plain and sport models came without the split tail lights. Check sales literature for the 70 model year to verify this........

The wingcars have an interesting past to say the least...but then most older Mopars do...........

Old 09-29-2008, 04:38 AM

And by the way "all" the special body parts are metal not fiberglass as reported in more than one auto mag, but for the fender scoops (for tire clearance)
This is only true for the NASCAR birds. On the street cars the fender tops are not cut out.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: KMPX2

And by the way "all" the special body parts are metal not fiberglass as reported in more than one auto mag, but for the fender scoops (for tire clearance)
This is only true for the NASCAR birds. On the street cars the fender tops are not cut out.
Actually the street Daytona has a hold cut out under the fender scoops that is covered with a screen. The street Superbird has no cut outs at all. The Daytona hole has no real use on the street, but it did start a lot of stories in some mags at the time about how it was there to extract air from the fender area....not true as again they were added to make room for tire clearance on the NASCAR Daytonas and Superbirds.
In Chrysler wind tunnel reports on the Daytona they ran a lot of studies on the ideal "rake" (nosedown angle) the wingcars should have on the track, and this is what led to the fender scoops.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:58 AM

Some good info, BLK (in case you hadn't figured it out yet, I was the author ), and I'll revise some of the story. I've written about 100 or so articles for the site and I know they aren't all perfect - many I've had to use reference material for, and in many cases I don't have anything else to go on unless I run into someone like yourself who's actually owned one.

I've seen some Road Runners without the split taillights - don't know if they were substituted for the split ones - don't know why anyone would, but I've seen people do stranger things - like you said, the factory did some weird stuff back in those days.

Did you see the story on the Daytona and 500? I'd be curious to get your thoughts on that writeup.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Yankee

Some good info, BLK (in case you hadn't figured it out yet, I was the author ), and I'll revise some of the story. I've written about 100 or so articles for the site and I know they aren't all perfect - many I've had to use reference material for, and in many cases I don't have anything else to go on unless I run into someone like yourself who's actually owned one.

Did you see the story on the Daytona and 500? I'd be curious to get your thoughts on that writeup.
I sort of figured you had ownership, but wasn't sure. Hope you didn't take anything I wrote personal. Like I said earlier, overall you did a great job, just a few little details incorrect.

I just looked over the Daytona and 500 sections, again great job.
Under the Daytona section:
Unsure as to what you mean by "There were also two small reverse facing scoops added atop each front fender for a drag reduction of 3%" Again the scoops themselves would have had little effect on drag. I never saw any numbers from the wind tunnel report that the scoops themselves did anything either + or -
just covered the front tires on the racers.

The following should be removed altogether; "The outrageous Daytona model was gone too, but there was a very (very) limited edition "Daytona Conversion Package" offered that had the 69 Daytona's fiberglass nose cone and tall rear spoiler, but retained the stock Charger's tunneled rear window. A mere total of 3 were sold"
**The "Daytona Conversion Package" never was offered and this whole story comes from the guy who had a nose and rear spoiler added to his Plum Purple 70 Charger RT. This car has been marketed as a "factory conversion" when in fact it was a dealer built car. The "Daytona Converion Package" label comes from the dealers service write up, making it look as if it was a factory offered package. I have pictures somewhere of the dealers work order. No big deal EXCEPT that the owner is trying to pass this car off as something it's never been. Truth is, it's a 70 Charger RT/SE with a nose and rear spoiler added, and nothing more. And again the noses were metal on all Daytona's (and Superbirds). If any of them have a fiberglass nose, it's an after market replacement. Bottomline, there are no 70 Daytona's, only clones such as mine built by their owners using 69 or 70 Chargers.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:39 AM

Found a couple of additional facts that you may want to change in other sections for the Charger:

Under 1966:
"With a host of "options" including electroluminescent dash, quad buckets and"
[Both are actually standard features on all 66 Chargers]

Under 1967:
The 318 engine was all new for 67, having been redesigned

Under 1969:
the 69 didn't have side lights, they were reflectors that looked like lights
(68 and 70 Chargers had side lights)

Under 1970:
The 225 Slant 6 was offered in 69, and a small number were in fact built, but was never offered in 70.

"base and RT models lost their standard door map pockets"
[base and RT models actually retained the door map pockets on redesigned interior door panels]

Overall great job, Keep up the good work...............