Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Wingcars/Superbirds and Daytonas

Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wingcars/Superbirds and Daytonas

Just wanted to start a thread on wingcars, because several long exchanges have been started on some of the Challenger threads.....and it has gotten off topic of what this site is all about.....the Challenger. So if anyone would like to talk wingcars...lets talk.....
I have a clone that I am redoing to change a few things that I don't like.....but it's a clone and will never look like a real Daytona. Using some ideas I had when I owned my original Hemi 4 speed Superbird, but it was to valuable even back in the day to mess with.......sky's the limit with a clone (and money of course).
I was looking for pictures to post....and was surprised that I only have two, and both are before the nose was done....the Superbird on the other hand...I have a lot of old pictures....go figurer.
My Daytona started life as a 70 Charger SE with a 318. Has black interior and is still black on the exterior, but since it is now apart I have been toying with changing the color.
Now has built 440/auto with Dana, everything upgraded to Hemicar level (gaslines, brakes, cooling, etc.)
My Daytona clone has the special rear window and trunk lid, 69 tail lights, windshield a post chrome, etc.
Bulding a Daytona is a lot of work, but if you have some skill it can be done.

If anyone wants to know more about these cars, checkout:

Winged Warriors Club Site
Daytona/Superbird Auto Club site
Dodge Charger.com (Aero Cars section)
Old 09-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Wingcars/Superbirds and Daytonas

Remember seeing them on the road when I was a kid-thought they looked goofy. Now I can really appreciate what they are. I talked to the owner of a Superbird last year at Mopars at the Strip. He said every superbird had a vinyl roof to cover the sheet metal work
they did when installing the back window.Is that true?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 PM

Yes, it is true but no one cared like they do today. They just wanted to go fast..
Old 09-26-2008, 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: vanishingpoint

Remember seeing them on the road when I was a kid-thought they looked goofy. Now I can really appreciate what they are. I talked to the owner of a Superbird last year at Mopars at the Strip. He said every superbird had a vinyl roof to cover the sheet metal work
they did when installing the back window.Is that true?
They were built at the factory as Roadrunners & then sent out to be turned into Superbirds. So a vinyl top was the cheapest way to hide the body work.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 AM

You are all correct.....Chrysler lost a lot of money on each wingcar they built (both Daytona's and Superbird's) so they didn't want to invest a lot of time and money in their construction. The vinyl top covered the sometimes "poor" body work that went into the rear window plug. With the vinyl top they didn't have to "finish" the body work like they had to on the Daytona. When I say them...I am really talking about Creative Industries as they did all the special body work on standard RTs and Roadrunners.
And by the way "all" the special body parts are metal not fiberglass as reported in more than one auto mag, but for the fender scoops (for tire clearance) and headlight assemblies (same one used for both Daytona and Superbird, and the only special body part that is interchangable between the two models). Unless you count the front spoiler which is also the same for both models.
I remember some people laughing at my Superbird back in the day........I guess in a way I had the last laugh since these are the same people paying big $$$$ for the same car they made fun of back then....
**These cars were built back when Auto Makers had to build, and then offer to the public any car they wanted to race.....unlike today when they are all the same bodies for the most part with the only real difference being the decals and engines.........
Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 AM

Superbirds are awsome cars. I'd kill to have one.
Of course I would for any classic mopar.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:08 PM

People back then thought they were "butt-ugly" and they sat on dealer lots begging to be sold. I had a Roadrunner back then but wouldn't have been caught dead in a Superbird. Wish I'd had a crystal ball so I could have bought every one.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:01 AM

Default /////////////

////////////
Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Default RE: I am a huge fan...

ORIGINAL: TaylorSF

I have never seen a superbird in person,
but the first car I remember riding in was a 69 Daytona.

It was green with the white accents. I doubt I will ever see it again, and could never afford it if I did.

We were in Vermont. It was bought from a dealer in NH, and then sold to somebody in NH I believe.

I wonder if you can look up histories of existing Daytonas anywhere.

Check with the Wing Warriors Club...they do a good job of tracking wingcars...they maybe able to tell you a bit about what happened to the Daytona since 1977........They are rather high profile...so if it's changed hands...they should know.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Here's a good writeup on the Superbirds and the Daytonas... this guy really seems to know his stuff

http://wikicars.org/en/Plymouth_Superbird

http://wikicars.org/en/Dodge_Charger_%28B-body%29