View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 AM
73Challenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 6 speed convertible

I heard from a big shot with Chrysler that there will be NO Challenger convertible.

The auto industry is barely surviving and the huge funds needed for R & D will not be spent making a low volume specialty car - no matter how much we want it.

It is a miracle that Chevy is rolling out a Camaro convertible, they are hurting pretty bad also.

For that matter, it is miracle that the Challenger even exists.

We are all very very fortunate that Chrysler did not pull the plug and cancel this car.

Insofar as bigger engines for the Challenger......that is not the way they are heading.

The new 5.7 litre HEMI for 2009 has variable valve technology and there is plenty more HP they can wring out that engine without too much trouble.
This engine is acheiving almost the same MPG as the 6 banger in the S/E. It is one of the only V8 engines sold by an American automaker that will survive for a few more years.

The 6.1 litre engine in the SRT8 is on life support, and might not be around much longer.

I have been told that a MDS 6 cylinder engine is next. The 3.5 litre engine in the S/E is a terrific motor that can be tweaked to put out 300 HP - while acheiving great MPG.

This is what I learned from my long conversation with a Chrysler engineer who shall remain nameless.