View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 PM
400Magnum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Small V8 option in the future?

First, I did not mean to cause a commotion. I was only curious if anyone had heard whether a smaller V8 was going to be available as an option. And it sounds like no one has heard anything "official". So, I guess I'll just sit and wait and hope some Chrysler/Dodge employee sees that there are at least a few of us that might be interested in seeing this available as an option and consider it.

Second, yes, I WOULD pay a little more for a small V8 just for the sound of it versus the V6, but I figure that'd be slightly offset by having an SE instead of the R/T or SRT8. I'll do without the $950 sunroof option just so I can have the V8, and the cost comes out virtually the same. I don't care what other people think I'm driving, I'm perfectly happy to own an SE, I'd just like to have that V8 rumble in it when I start it up. I've waited over 30 years to get a car like this, and that's what I want. Here's the thing, I don't go looking for people to race on the street, I don't have anything to prove or ego to bruise so I don't need every last horsepower. Sure the smaller V8 isn't going to perform like the Hemi engines, I don't expect it to. But if the 3.5L is sufficient to move this car, then a small V8 should do a little better, right?

See, I get in my car in the morning and I drive to work (if I'm lucky enough to have a job), then at the end of the day I drive home. Sometimes on the weekend I go to the store or maybe take the wife out for dinner. If I'm going to pay $25k for a car that I could pay an extra $1000 for just to get the small V8, then I'll do that before I shell out another $10k for a car whose performance potential I'll never come close to using, that I'm going to pay even more insurance for, that's going to use even more fuel, just so I can drive it to work and home every day, and maybe go to the store or take the wife out to dinner once in a while. You see, the car is for me, no one else. I don't need R/T or SRT badges or stripes on it. And I'm sorry, but taking a V6 and sticking a Flowmaster muffler on it does not make it sound like a V8. I own an Intrepid now with the 3.5L and I've looked at so many combinations of exhaust components that I'm dizzy, and they all sound like a V6 that's had something done to the exhaust. I'm not saying they sound bad, but they do not sound like the V8. All I'm saying is that if I am paying that much for a car and have to worry every month whether or not I'm going to be able to pay for it, then I at least want the satisfaction of getting a big grin on my face every morning when I start her up and hear those dual exhausts.