Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Small V8 option in the future?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small V8 option in the future?

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about getting a small V8 in the future? Like having the 4.7L V8 be an upgrade option in the SE or a "downgrade" in the R/T? I really like the new Challenger. The SE is a great looking car, and the price is at a level where I could possibly afford it. But if I'm going to get this kind of car, then I'd like to get a V8 in it just for the sound and feel. I don't need the extra expense of the Hemi engine. If they'd make the 4.7L available with a 5- or 6-spd manual transmission, it'd be a really sweet car in my opinion. I want one of these so bad I can taste it, but I just can't ante up the coin for the R/T. The SE would suit me just fine if it had a small-block V8 option.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone heard or knew if that was being considered.

Thanks!

Regards,
400Magnum
Old 09-30-2008, 03:06 PM

Default RE: Small V8 option in the future?

well dont know for sure, but I can tell you the 4.7 wont be around in a couple years....this engine is being put out to pasture....besides, the v-6 has more HP than the 4.7 v6=250 and v8=235 if I am not mistaken.....I imagine more torque tho in the v8? and more tunable? )
Old 09-30-2008, 03:19 PM

The 5.7L is the Small v8.

The big one is the 6.1 HIGH PERFORMANCE HEMI.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: sabby2000

well dont know for sure, but I can tell you the 4.7 wont be around in a couple years....this engine is being put out to pasture....besides, the v-6 has more HP than the 4.7 v6=250 and v8=235 if I am not mistaken.....I imagine more torque tho in the v8? and more tunable? )
Actually, the 4.7 was redesigned for 2008, so I think it will be around for some time. It's lighter, has increased compression and more power, and it supports flex fuels. The 4.7 in the Dakota is 302 hp @ 5,650 rpm & 329 lb-ft of torque @ 3,950 rpm. I agree with the OP that this engine would have made an excellent base model 'SE' instead of (or in addition to) the 3.5. However, I think the 6-speed manual would have been too much tranny for this engine, but the Dakota's 5-speed auto would have been a good combo.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:30 PM

Agree w/ toofart. Plus, w/ MDS on it would be close to v-6 economy numbers too, I suspect. I just worry that anything "V-8" in a few years will be taboo unless in a truck...ugh.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 PM

I just don't think that a lot of guys are going to be able, or willing, to shell out the money for an R/T or SRT8. I know the 5.7L is the small V8 for what's offered now, but there is a huge gap between the entry engine (3.5L V6) and the 5.7L. It just seems to me that if they would offer something in the middle, and the 4.7L is the only current offering which is why I mentioned it, then they might have more sales. I for one just can't afford to lay down $40k for a vehicle that I can't drive all year long. I've talked to quite a few guys that are in a similar situation as me. We love the car, but we just do not have the finances to get the Hemi cars, but that doesn't mean we don't want a V8 too, we just can't afford the big performance models. Think back to the original Challengers, you could get anything from the slant six and 318 all the way up the list to the 426 Hemi.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone knew of or heard of anything like that for future models, and it doesn't sound like it so far.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 PM

Good luck Bro! I hope you can work things out, but really believe that there is no wrong car as just owning THE CAR is really the best thing that can be. Whether it be the SE, RT, or SRT is no matter because they all deliver for who you are. I have worked hard since late 05 and early 06 when I first saw this vehicle. I immediately thought, this is the very next car I am going to buy. I debated up and down which model I would eventually choose, finally ordering a Silver (because they are fastest) 09 SRT8, Auto, mygig (UConnect). It is the firrst and last car I will buy sight unseen, because I knew it would deliver, albeit not exactly as the concept, but true to itself. Go out and get one, don't be disappointed in any model, just get in on it and enjoy THE CAR! I know I will be all too soon.[sm=gears.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM

Hey you guy's are forgetting all about the 4.0 litre... Phoenix engine that's supposed to be in the V-6 cars next year, replacing the current 3.5 litre. Look it up on Allpar.com
250 horsepower 4.0 litre V-6. Just wait another year. I've been reading about that "little" 6 for about a year now. Sounds like that's exactly what the Challenger line-up needs too.
They might have scraped the project in the last several months though due to all this bogus economy stuff[:'(]. But last I heard it was a go, not a rumor.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:08 AM

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan
Hey you guy's are forgetting all about the 4.0 litre... Phoenix engine that's supposed to be in the V-6 cars next year, replacing the current 3.5 litre. Look it up on Allpar.com
For some reason, I'm not convinced the Phoenix engine will be ready in time for the 2010 model year, and by 2011 who knows where ChryCo, or Dodge, or the economy/fuel prices will be. Also, it's not clear if the new Phoenix engines will have direct gas injection, which would be truly disappointing if not. At any rate, I think the point is that the new 4.7 is in production now, it is a good, solid engine and with a dual exhaust in the Challenger it could easily make 310 hp, so we're all left here wondering why it's not in the Challenger.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:53 AM

I'd certainly second the notion of putting the 4.7 as an option for the SE, especially now that they've finally updated it - it could even be a "credit" option for the R/T for someone who really wanted to go cheap (for an R/T). One of the endearing qualities of the original was that it was available with just about any Chrysler engine available, something for everyone. I think a 4.7 option would be a great idea.

Quick Reply: Small V8 option in the future?