Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Small V8 option in the future?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Small V8 option in the future?

ORIGINAL: Rudy61SRT8
Dodge will be lucky to even be in buisness next year
Come on, Dodge has been in business since it was founded in 1914. It's weathered trying times before, it'll certainly weather this one.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM

While the Dodge/Chrysler folks are making an improvement, as they were one among all the big 6 of GM, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota, with a dismal quarter, Chrysler and Ford's exceedingly worse financial condition puts them especially closer to failure. I sure as heck hope that the MOPAR gang is gonna pull through and weather the storm. So be it may, MDS V8s, V6s of multiple displacements, and 4cyl will need to become the normal repetoire. Too bad, as it has been a good run, and will be very soon as mine is soon to arrive.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 AM

well then you tell me what the cost of the 4.7 would be then in the challenger ?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: JJMPB

well then you tell me what the cost of the 4.7 would be then in the challenger ?
$483
Old 10-04-2008, 11:34 AM

the total cost please
Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 PM

First, I did not mean to cause a commotion. I was only curious if anyone had heard whether a smaller V8 was going to be available as an option. And it sounds like no one has heard anything "official". So, I guess I'll just sit and wait and hope some Chrysler/Dodge employee sees that there are at least a few of us that might be interested in seeing this available as an option and consider it.

Second, yes, I WOULD pay a little more for a small V8 just for the sound of it versus the V6, but I figure that'd be slightly offset by having an SE instead of the R/T or SRT8. I'll do without the $950 sunroof option just so I can have the V8, and the cost comes out virtually the same. I don't care what other people think I'm driving, I'm perfectly happy to own an SE, I'd just like to have that V8 rumble in it when I start it up. I've waited over 30 years to get a car like this, and that's what I want. Here's the thing, I don't go looking for people to race on the street, I don't have anything to prove or ego to bruise so I don't need every last horsepower. Sure the smaller V8 isn't going to perform like the Hemi engines, I don't expect it to. But if the 3.5L is sufficient to move this car, then a small V8 should do a little better, right?

See, I get in my car in the morning and I drive to work (if I'm lucky enough to have a job), then at the end of the day I drive home. Sometimes on the weekend I go to the store or maybe take the wife out for dinner. If I'm going to pay $25k for a car that I could pay an extra $1000 for just to get the small V8, then I'll do that before I shell out another $10k for a car whose performance potential I'll never come close to using, that I'm going to pay even more insurance for, that's going to use even more fuel, just so I can drive it to work and home every day, and maybe go to the store or take the wife out to dinner once in a while. You see, the car is for me, no one else. I don't need R/T or SRT badges or stripes on it. And I'm sorry, but taking a V6 and sticking a Flowmaster muffler on it does not make it sound like a V8. I own an Intrepid now with the 3.5L and I've looked at so many combinations of exhaust components that I'm dizzy, and they all sound like a V6 that's had something done to the exhaust. I'm not saying they sound bad, but they do not sound like the V8. All I'm saying is that if I am paying that much for a car and have to worry every month whether or not I'm going to be able to pay for it, then I at least want the satisfaction of getting a big grin on my face every morning when I start her up and hear those dual exhausts.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 PM

I just wanted to say that I currently have the 4.7 Magnum engine in my 2000 Dakota 4x4 and have found it to be more then sifficient in the power department ( although the truck does only weigh 2500 lbs ). I would say though that is does SUCK in the MPG department though (avg of only 15). So if they did try to use it in the challenger I think it would need a MAJOR overhaul and shift the engines focus from a torque mindset to a horsepower one.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 AM

2500 lbs, huh? How'd you pull that one off?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 AM

With how popular 318 Chargers and Challengers were back in the day........I would think that offering a small V-8 would be a good way to go for sales......Not everyone wants a performance model, and others are not happy with just a 6....so it makes sense...(or maybe it doesn't...I've been wrong before)
Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 AM

First let me say that I respect everyones opinion on V-6 vs small V-8. I recently bought an SE and am truly amazed at the performance. They say it is a "high output" V-6 and let me say it has plenty of go. In fact , I would say it is a better performer (stock) than my 318 1970 V-8 SE, or at least very close. I too was not willing to go the extra 10 grand for the hemi as I did not see the value for something i wasn't going to need. So in my opinion, the SE is a great choice for those waiting for a small v-8 which I doubt they will do. In 1970, when I bought my SE, there were tons of combinations of engines and trim, color , etc. which in today's market, we may never see...dress it up anyway you want and have fun..BTW, there are only 2 others I have seen in the Phoenix area..an 08 SRT and a inferno red SE... Where is the advertising on TV? Thanks

Quick Reply: Small V8 option in the future?