View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 04:10 PM
epegasus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2009 STR8 over MSRP at local dealer

How dealerships work:
Typically the way it works is that the sports car class are simply bait to bring people into the showroom. The manufacturers' mark-up is relatively small as compared to other models. Just take a look at the volume of sportscars made/sold compared to other models. They aren't money makers for the most part. The premiums that the dealerships are/were charging for the Challenger is strictly a dealer thing. None of that profit went back to Chrysler so there is no pay-off for Chrysler. The dealers have already fronted the money for most of there inventory. They take out loans to pay Chrysler so it is the bank(s) that gave the dealership the loan who is happy you bought the car more than anyone. I say all this to explain that the only benefit for Chevy to build the Camaro is for the benefit of the Camaro fans. The average car buyer will see the Camaro as a wasteful gas guzzler and a sign that Chevy hasn't learned from past mistakes. It wouldn't surprise me if Chrysler suspends the Chally or maybe just the V8 option or possibly just all cars that don't average 20mpg. Get these babies while you can. Some of you are too young to remember the stretch from the mid 70s to the early 80s. There were no MuscleCars! Man I remember when the first 5.0 Mustangs came out I felt like I had been holding my breath for a decade and I had just taken my first breath of fresh air. I jumped all over an '89 5.0 LX!!

The Bail-out:
Dealerships brag about the bail-out money because they've known for weeks that the money was coming. Congress has been blessing the auto industries decisions for decades. The Auto industry lobbyist have been lining congresses pockets long enough to have insiders who cut deals behind closed doors. All that congressional hearings crap was just for show. Who will make the Hummers and supply tank parts if the big three go under? Do a little research on the Auto-industry's defense contract divisions. Even if they are allowed to "go under" they will simply file for bankruptcy and then re-organize/restructure and come back like Delta did. What they really need to figure out is how to make an all American car that runs like a Honda/Toyota and doesn't cost them $70/hour per employee where Honda and Toyota can do it for $40/hr per worker. Mercedes are cheap in Germany. Japanese cars are cheap in Japan. Why aren't American cars cheap in America?

Performance vs. Looks vs. Options
Personally, I wish the no frills muscle car would come back. A stiff frame, hella strong engine, stiff suspension and no stereo or NAV or back seats, traction control, Hill assist etc. There should be a SRT8R version selling for around $35k that is a special light weight model without all the non-sense. Get this thing down around 3200lbs HHooooo WEeeee!!!