Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

2009 STR8 over MSRP at local dealer

Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 STR8 over MSRP at local dealer

Geee I saw a nice Black 2009 Challenger Manual STR8 at MSRP at $44,000.
The dealer has a markup at $5000 but we can talk a bit to bring the price down a tad.{$49,000}
Its funny that he said the the challenger 6 speed manual is very limited.
I told him that they are on Ebay for under MSRP.
And I also said that Dodge might not be in business in the next few weeks,,,Its
Funny that the dealer says that the Goverment will be bailing them out.
These dealers are real shumkssss
they are going out of business and wanting to sell these cars at over MSRP
We know Oil prices will be over $130 a barrel when the economy gets better.
Only reason I am waiting to buy a Challenger,,,is that I want to see what teh 2010 Camaro SS will look like.
Many will say that the camaro ss will be over MSRP.
I don't think many have a clue??
GM are going to make as many as they can with the Camaros and we will be able to get these cars at a tad over invoice.
Yep many will say the first few months that the Camaro SS will be at MSRP or Over.
little do people know ,,,most will not be able to afford the car?
Yes they have had 6000 Pre orders of the Camaro SS,,,but wait till they need to get a loan on the car or maybe GM will not be here and try to get your deposits back???
Yes I see 2009 Challenger Rts on Ebay at $30,000,,,yep I would like to buy one...
But I do want to see what the Camaro SS will look like.
As for the 2010 Ford Stang Gt,,,they can keep the car at 315HP...

I think many dealers think we are still smucks????
I am glad we have Ebay and other places to get ours cars at better prices then the
local dealers...
I feel let them all go out of business,,,I shed no tears for car dealers.....................................Ludes

Old 12-06-2008, 07:06 PM

Default RE: 2009 STR8 over MSRP at local dealer

Hey Lude

We were in a similar boat - we originally looked at an RT at the local dealership. After it sold, our sales guy tried to find one somewhere else in TX and do a trade between dealerships - no go. About a week later - a black, 6speed SRT8 came in - fully loaded with all the tech stuff. They also wanted $5,000 over MSRP. While the dealership was still looking we said if they would come off the SRT8, we would buy it. After a couple of days - they came down and the SRT8 beauty is ours. 3 weeks now and it is AWESOME!!! I say shop around for another dealership. I can't deny that people in any business need to make money, but they shouldn't screw people in the process. Patience is a required element in this pursuit - but it does pay off. Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1998/5FF65774F70347B8881A40C8E6799F03.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the advise...........
I was checking Ebay for awhile and see most dealers are selling 2009 STR8 or Rts for MSRP or Under...
I am in no rush since my 2006 Stang Gt is paid off and I have the Cash so I don't need a loan.
Its funny I felt since this is a Small local dealer and I have seen the car there for 3 weeks already,,why not stop
by and see what they wanted......
I think many dealers have no clue
Many are closing shop not able to sell cars
And many are not able to get loans for the people that want to buy them.
(Most need a credit rate of 700 or more to get a loan}
I thought the car was a cool looking car(black and a Manual trans}
But I do really want to see what the 2010 Camaro SS will loook like.
Its funny dealers are bragging about the goverment bailing them out.......
I would not brag about being bailed out....
I think Ford has the right idea saying that they don't need the money now.
But for GM and Dodge they did look bad in front of the Senate wanting bailouts.
I know GM will faill,,,Buts its as bad for Dodge as a Hedge fund also begging for money.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 PM

We had a 2003 350Z - paid off - we ended up selling to an individual, but our dealership did a no charge in-and-out which saved us on the taxes to pay. My husband also considered the camaro in the research and time leading to purchase - He likes both - I like the Challenger - many disagree - but I think the Challenger is more true to the original - plus all the tech bells and whistles are options on the Challenger. My understanding is that the Camaro will not have the nav system and some other advanced tech features available - ever. I think a return to the muscle cars is sweet, especially with all the advancements now. They do it in all the other industries - why not muscle cars?

Ironically - about 30 miles down the road in a smaller town in Central Texas - the ford house closed shop - no warning - just gone. Weird.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: 2009SRT_wife

I think the Challenger is more true to the original - plus all the tech bells and whistles are options on the Challenger. My understanding is that the Camaro will not have the nav system and some other advanced tech features available - ever. I think a return to the muscle cars is sweet, especially with all the advancements now. They do it in all the other industries - why not muscle cars?
Maybe GM understands that when the government becomes involved through any type of bailout, that the muscle car's days will be limited and therefore why invest a lot in a car that may not be around in a couple of years......
Plus, a lot of muscle car fans still think of performance first and nav systems and other "tech features" do nothing for the bottomline of performance.....
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM

And of course, Joe, some of us don't care about bells and whistles OR performance. Strictly looks.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:42 AM

You are right there are lots of guys that only want performance or just looks - but I love having the best of both worlds
Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 AM

And some of us, want it all.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:10 PM

How dealerships work:
Typically the way it works is that the sports car class are simply bait to bring people into the showroom. The manufacturers' mark-up is relatively small as compared to other models. Just take a look at the volume of sportscars made/sold compared to other models. They aren't money makers for the most part. The premiums that the dealerships are/were charging for the Challenger is strictly a dealer thing. None of that profit went back to Chrysler so there is no pay-off for Chrysler. The dealers have already fronted the money for most of there inventory. They take out loans to pay Chrysler so it is the bank(s) that gave the dealership the loan who is happy you bought the car more than anyone. I say all this to explain that the only benefit for Chevy to build the Camaro is for the benefit of the Camaro fans. The average car buyer will see the Camaro as a wasteful gas guzzler and a sign that Chevy hasn't learned from past mistakes. It wouldn't surprise me if Chrysler suspends the Chally or maybe just the V8 option or possibly just all cars that don't average 20mpg. Get these babies while you can. Some of you are too young to remember the stretch from the mid 70s to the early 80s. There were no MuscleCars! Man I remember when the first 5.0 Mustangs came out I felt like I had been holding my breath for a decade and I had just taken my first breath of fresh air. I jumped all over an '89 5.0 LX!!

The Bail-out:
Dealerships brag about the bail-out money because they've known for weeks that the money was coming. Congress has been blessing the auto industries decisions for decades. The Auto industry lobbyist have been lining congresses pockets long enough to have insiders who cut deals behind closed doors. All that congressional hearings crap was just for show. Who will make the Hummers and supply tank parts if the big three go under? Do a little research on the Auto-industry's defense contract divisions. Even if they are allowed to "go under" they will simply file for bankruptcy and then re-organize/restructure and come back like Delta did. What they really need to figure out is how to make an all American car that runs like a Honda/Toyota and doesn't cost them $70/hour per employee where Honda and Toyota can do it for $40/hr per worker. Mercedes are cheap in Germany. Japanese cars are cheap in Japan. Why aren't American cars cheap in America?

Performance vs. Looks vs. Options
Personally, I wish the no frills muscle car would come back. A stiff frame, hella strong engine, stiff suspension and no stereo or NAV or back seats, traction control, Hill assist etc. There should be a SRT8R version selling for around $35k that is a special light weight model without all the non-sense. Get this thing down around 3200lbs HHooooo WEeeee!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Here where I am I went and test drove an SE end of August and they were at that time selling at sticker no markup. THey had four R/Ts on the way in and the salesman stated that they would be sold at sticker as well. No markups here thankfully. I could not buy at the time and will be buying in early Spring.

Quick Reply: 2009 STR8 over MSRP at local dealer