Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM
respawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase soon - feedback requested.

Hey guys, I have been lurking on the forums for a couple of months. After selling a few organs and ebaying some old collectibles, I have saved enough money to buy a new vehicle. Being that I am currently driving a 2000 Montero Sport, I am in the market for a new ride...

That being said, I wanted to cast a proverbial net of what I am thinking and listen to anything you want to say (negative or positive).

Honestly, I like both the Camaro and Challenger and I am going to buy one of them this year. I think I have decided on the Challenger as I test drove one recently and really enjoyed it.

This is what I have in mind (info from edmunds):

Code:
2009 Dodge Challenger  R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)  
                                           MSRP                    Invoice
                                          $29,820                  $27,618   
 Optional Equipment                       $2,345                   $2,157   
    WP2 20" x 8.0" Chrome                 $1,350                   $1,242  
    Clad Aluminum Wheels 
    27F Quick Order Package                $995                      $915   
 Color Adjustment - -                       $0  
   Dark Titanium Metallic Clearcoat    
   Destination Charge                      $725                      $725  
 Total with Options                       $32,890                 $30,500

Ok, so I have some thoughts and questions:

1). After the test drive, I determined that I want something with a little more rumble. The stock engine isn't throaty enough. I am willing to spend aftermarket money to get it.
I was looking at this: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...ood/index.html It looks pretty cool. Says it helps performance (more hp) and gives it a deeper sound. I dont know about having someone chop up my hood... Also have been reading about aftermarket exhaust improvements (Flowmaster). Should I go that route instead/as well?

2). I read somewhere that the rims that come with the upgraded wheels are chrome plastic or something subpar like that? I am thinking the money is worth it just for the 3.92 axle ratio. Also, someone said something about being able to upgrade to "real chrome rims" for $500 a wheel... but I dont see that option at edmunds. What's the real scoop on the rims?

3). I want something better than factory sound. I definitely do NOT want satellite radio. It blows. We had a year of it for free in my wife's 2007 Scion Xb and I wouldn't take it again if they paid us. I like the mp3 capability and superior sound quality, but I am thinking for $1k that the BA setup costs, I can probably find something aftermarket cheaper or with better features. Thoughts?

4). Are the High Intensity Discharge Headlamps worth the ~$700 cost?

5). What is the lowest price I should realistically be going to the dealer with paying? I am thinking of offering $300-500 above invoice. With this economy in recession, I would assume they would jump on a "free" sale. I would be special ordering this I am sure as I only want these options and color. I can pay for the car in full at time of purchase and I am going to sell my Montero on my own, so do not have to worry about haggling a trade-in. I am thinking: moving one of their cars out of inventory, putting one on the streets (a la advertising), hassle free cash purchase, plus the dealer holdback... not to mention big competition from Camaro soon... they shouldnt balk at $300-500 over invoice. Am I crazy?

Give me your thoughts and feedback. I would much appreciate it.