Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Looking to purchase soon - feedback requested.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase soon - feedback requested.

Hey guys, I have been lurking on the forums for a couple of months. After selling a few organs and ebaying some old collectibles, I have saved enough money to buy a new vehicle. Being that I am currently driving a 2000 Montero Sport, I am in the market for a new ride...

That being said, I wanted to cast a proverbial net of what I am thinking and listen to anything you want to say (negative or positive).

Honestly, I like both the Camaro and Challenger and I am going to buy one of them this year. I think I have decided on the Challenger as I test drove one recently and really enjoyed it.

This is what I have in mind (info from edmunds):

Code:
2009 Dodge Challenger  R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)  
                                           MSRP                    Invoice
                                          $29,820                  $27,618   
 Optional Equipment                       $2,345                   $2,157   
    WP2 20" x 8.0" Chrome                 $1,350                   $1,242  
    Clad Aluminum Wheels 
    27F Quick Order Package                $995                      $915   
 Color Adjustment - -                       $0  
   Dark Titanium Metallic Clearcoat    
   Destination Charge                      $725                      $725  
 Total with Options                       $32,890                 $30,500

Ok, so I have some thoughts and questions:

1). After the test drive, I determined that I want something with a little more rumble. The stock engine isn't throaty enough. I am willing to spend aftermarket money to get it.
I was looking at this: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...ood/index.html It looks pretty cool. Says it helps performance (more hp) and gives it a deeper sound. I dont know about having someone chop up my hood... Also have been reading about aftermarket exhaust improvements (Flowmaster). Should I go that route instead/as well?

2). I read somewhere that the rims that come with the upgraded wheels are chrome plastic or something subpar like that? I am thinking the money is worth it just for the 3.92 axle ratio. Also, someone said something about being able to upgrade to "real chrome rims" for $500 a wheel... but I dont see that option at edmunds. What's the real scoop on the rims?

3). I want something better than factory sound. I definitely do NOT want satellite radio. It blows. We had a year of it for free in my wife's 2007 Scion Xb and I wouldn't take it again if they paid us. I like the mp3 capability and superior sound quality, but I am thinking for $1k that the BA setup costs, I can probably find something aftermarket cheaper or with better features. Thoughts?

4). Are the High Intensity Discharge Headlamps worth the ~$700 cost?

5). What is the lowest price I should realistically be going to the dealer with paying? I am thinking of offering $300-500 above invoice. With this economy in recession, I would assume they would jump on a "free" sale. I would be special ordering this I am sure as I only want these options and color. I can pay for the car in full at time of purchase and I am going to sell my Montero on my own, so do not have to worry about haggling a trade-in. I am thinking: moving one of their cars out of inventory, putting one on the streets (a la advertising), hassle free cash purchase, plus the dealer holdback... not to mention big competition from Camaro soon... they shouldnt balk at $300-500 over invoice. Am I crazy?

Give me your thoughts and feedback. I would much appreciate it.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking to purchase soon - feedback requested.

ORIGINAL: respawn
Code:
2009 Dodge Challenger  R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)  
                                           MSRP                    Invoice
                                          $29,820                  $27,618   
 Optional Equipment                       $2,345                   $2,157   
    WP2 20" x 8.0" Chrome                 $1,350                   $1,242  
    Clad Aluminum Wheels 
    27F Quick Order Package                $995                      $915   
 Color Adjustment - -                       $0  
   Dark Titanium Metallic Clearcoat    
   Destination Charge                      $725                      $725  
 Total with Options                       $32,890                 $30,500

Ok, so I have some thoughts and questions:

1). After the test drive, I determined that I want something with a little more rumble. The stock engine isn't throaty enough. I am willing to spend aftermarket money to get it.
I was looking at this: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...ood/index.html It looks pretty cool. Says it helps performance (more hp) and gives it a deeper sound. I dont know about having someone chop up my hood... Also have been reading about aftermarket exhaust improvements (Flowmaster). Should I go that route instead/as well?
A hood will not change the sound...just the looks. If the intake is functional, it may make a small change in the noises you hear, but exhaust is where you need to look for the sound you want. Besides, I would not be too excited about cutting a hole in the hood. That said, I am hacking up my new R/T exhaust on Wednesday. I have decided to cut out the original suitcase muffler and weld in a pair of Flowmaster Supper 44's. I will see how that sounds first, then I will eliminate the rear resonators if needed and replace them with the correct size tubing while maintaining the original square tips for a factory appearance. I will post results when I finish the install. I am doing it myself, so it may be a few days.

2). I read somewhere that the rims that come with the upgraded wheels are chrome plastic or something subpar like that? I am thinking the money is worth it just for the 3.92 axle ratio. Also, someone said something about being able to upgrade to "real chrome rims" for $500 a wheel... but I dont see that option at edmunds. What's the real scoop on the rims?
I wanted the 20" chrome-clad wheels just for the 3.92 gears. The wheels do look nice, but I get wheels & tires at dead cost where I work, so I have ordered another set already. I will keep my factory chrome wheels so I can swap them on when the car goes in for any kind of warranty work, or for future use if I ever decide to sell the car (it's looking like that may never happen though...I love this car!). As for the plastic...it looks fine and actually will stand up to the elements than a traditional chrome plated wheel (whether it be steel or aluminum). Don't let the plastic part of it persuade you.

3). I want something better than factory sound. I definitely do NOT want satellite radio. It blows. We had a year of it for free in my wife's 2007 Scion Xb and I wouldn't take it again if they paid us. I like the mp3 capability and superior sound quality, but I am thinking for $1k that the BA setup costs, I can probably find something aftermarket cheaper or with better features. Thoughts?
I actually prefer the satellite, but have no use for bluetooth, IPOD, or navigation. This is strictly a personal preference issue. I went with the "J Package" so I could get the leather and the 6 speaker sound system. It sounds plenty good for my taste! That said, if you like to play with aftermarket audio, there is alot of really nice stuff out there.

4). Are the High Intensity Discharge Headlamps worth the ~$700 cost?
For me, yes. I love the way they look, and the extra vision is just a bonus.

5). What is the lowest price I should realistically be going to the dealer with paying? I am thinking of offering $300-500 above invoice. With this economy in recession, I would assume they would jump on a "free" sale. I would be special ordering this I am sure as I only want these options and color. I can pay for the car in full at time of purchase and I am going to sell my Montero on my own, so do not have to worry about haggling a trade-in. I am thinking: moving one of their cars out of inventory, putting one on the streets (a la advertising), hassle free cash purchase, plus the dealer holdback... not to mention big competition from Camaro soon... they shouldnt balk at $300-500 over invoice. Am I crazy?
You should be able to negotiate in the range you have mentioned. I ended up around $350 over invoice, but I am sure I could have worked them over and got it down to invoice (or below?) if I was not so passionate about the car. I had to drive 4 hours in a blizzard to pick up my car and trailer it home to get the car I wanted. All of the Challengers closer to home were either automatics or loaded up with options I did not want. Buying a car from a dealer's inventory may have been better for negotiating price, but I am sure you can still negotiate on a special order. The biggest question at this pint is "Will Dodge make any more Challengers at all?".

Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking to purchase soon - feedback requested.

Sounds like a nice combo. I have the 20" rims and trak pak. These are the chrome clad and they are not that bad. I have the 6 speaker Bose system with the MP3 player hookup and its really nice. The 6-speeds have a different exhaust system and I am not changing mine, sounds just great. Reminds me of the 440-4bbl of the 70s. The head lamps that are HID are for those who are into that option. My son has a 350Z with the HIDs and I don't like the line that looms infront of you with no light bleed. But the clarity is betteron the HIDs. As far as price I bought mine 2009 Inferno-Red sun roof, trak-pak 20" rims, 6-speed for $33550.00. Under MSRP by a few thousand. I think you can do better if you push the issue Good luck and hope you choose the Challenger.