Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

shopping for new challenger - looking for feedback on the future of this line

Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shopping for new challenger - looking for feedback on the future of this line

I'm new to this board, and I'm looking for information on the fate and future of the Dodge CHallenger. I've read the following in the last few weeks:

there will be no 2011 Dodge Challengers - it's the end of the line for the Challenger

Dodge is skipping the 2011 model year and is going straight for the 2012 model year to be released in 2012.

I know that the Challenger is a slow seller - averaging about 1 car per dealership per month. I have been watching the inventory in a 50 mile radius for the last 3 months. I don't have to make this purchase any time soon, so I figure I'd wait and see what's going on. They are indeed moving slowly, and inventories have actually gone up, meaning that Dodge is trying to clear out the 2010s.

I really like this car - like the lines, I feel it really captured the old body style more so than the Camaro, which looks like the batmobile. It's wider than the other muscle/pony cars, it's more comfy inside, and has a more practical trunk, back seat, etc. However, I don't want to put money into something that won't be around much longer, and given where Chrysler is as a corporation, I don't have much faith in the direction it's heading. I'd hate to be stuck with a car that's difficult to get serviced or that the company waivers on standing behind.

I'm looking at the V6, BTW. Yes, the RT and SRT8 are great cars, but the price is way out of line for what you get. Besides, this would be my daily commuter vehicle.

So... any thoughts out there on the future of the Challenger? To be honest, I'm surprised dealers aren't discounting prices more than they are, these things are not moving at all, so I'm expecting more eager dealerships, but I haven't found them yet.

THanks for any feedback...
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM

2011 Challengers is already announced. SRT8 has announced the new 6.4L engine. They flipped the lower grill opening upside down. All new V6 with 300+hp on the SE. Other updates and price increases across the line. Given the recent turmoil at Chrysler, it is hard to predict beyond 2011. Fiat hasn't said anything about killing it though, so I'm hoping for the best.

Definitely a lower volume/higher price strategy. Maybe with an up to date V6 the SE will be a higher volume car.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 AM

Well... according to Edmonds and my local dealer, Dodge has scrubbed the 2011 plans and is shooting for a late spring release of the early 2012's. It's mid-October and all dealerships have are 2010's still... so that story may very well be true.

Adding the 300+ HP to the V6 makes sense, Camaro already has that standard on their low end models.

I guess I'm really struggling with being on the hook with a new car payment when so much seems up in the air with the corporation.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM

According to Allpar site, they are getting ready to release the 2011 Challenger, so it appears as if there will indeed be a 2011. It really doesn't make much sense to "drop" an entire year when the Challenger is selling. Granted the Challenger is not selling in large numbers (which is great, as I don't want one on every corner) however, they are still selling. Many are just not buying anything due to the economy and job situation. Plus, the Camaro has killed some of the Challenger's thunder and sales. Let's face it, if cost is your main concern then a new Camaro or Mustang would be a better deal, as they both have cheaper models to offer. It all comes down to what the individual tastes are in regards to looks, and of course how much horsepower you think you need for the street.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:18 PM

THanks, Joe. It's strange, I wonder when the 2011's will show up. I did look at the camaro, and honestly didn't care for it for two reasons - it's more cut up, looks like the batmobile, and it's less roomy. The challenger rides and feels like a larger car, easier for us big guys and a nicer commuter. I think what Chevy has going for it is the more powerful V6, a slightly lower buy in cost at the low end (though not much), and a larger selection. YOu can find anything you want for the Camaro, and it's some dealerships' biggest seller next to trucks. Go figure.

Anyway, I do like the Challenger, I may roll the dice with Dodge and decide to buy it... I just hope things go well. I've got one dealer that seems eager to get down to brass tacks. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM

The Challenger will continue to be built up until 2014, that's according to the President of Fiat, the company that now owns Chrysler Corp. The good news is he doesn't see the need to discontinue any current Chrysler or Dodge products that are in the pipeline, so to speak but after the year 2014 things become uncertain. That's when the Challenger would be slated to be majorly "restyled". Then in 2016 the newly mandated automotive industry wide CAFE requirements are slated to go into effect. That means Chrysler's (Dodge) entire line up of cars have to average 35mpg in mileage. So in order to continue to making Challengers, Dodge will have to sell "X" number of cars that'll average out their corporate wide mpg. So you still have some time to get one but I wouldn't put it off for too long because the markup on these cars left at the end will be "through the roof" price wise!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Challengers of the 70s were only a 5 year run. Today you can get almost anything you need to restore an old Challenger. I have a 70 so I really do know this to be true. And with all the Chargers and Magnums and 300s you will have ample parts around for many many years. I think the 2011 SE with a 305 HP V-6 might be the car you are lokking for plus it gets the 5 speed tranny. I think the perfomance test will show this to be a 14 sec 1/4 miler. Although a high 14 seconds. 14.9. I say this with the extra 55 horses and a 5-speed just might put it in the 14s. And a boost in the gas mileage. Go for a test drive when they arrive, I bet you'll be suprised.