Thread: Vanishing Point
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 09:50 AM
BLK 6050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I scored big this weekend when I found an original and never used set of “Vanishing Point” Lobby cards (still the shipping package) at my parents house. I had totally forgotten all about having ordered them, around 20 years ago….so it was like Christmas in August. Funny, but only two of the pictures include the Challenger, one launching over the river bed, and another of the car sitting at a gas station with a cop eye balling it from a distance. All the rest of the shots are of Barry Newman, in various scenes from the movie. If 20th Century Fox had known what a cult film it would become and how the Challenger would be the real star…..every shot would have included the Challenger!
I also have an original “Press Kit” that was sent to theaters that included an overview of the movies plot, stories about the actors and ads that the theater could supply to local newspapers. In addition, a friend of mine while in the Navy stopped in an old record shop in England while on leave from his ship and found a Vanishing Point sound track LP (this is the foreign version without the foldout center picture). The shop had two when he first stopped in, and a year later he returned and purchased the second LP. He sent me one of the LPs to add to my collection of movie posters from both movies, and my die-cast VP cars.