View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Doozle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying NOT to hijack this thread but i couldn't help but wonder if K&N air filters are still all they're cracked up to be ie #1 air filter, etc. Ever since the 80's I've happily used K&N air filters on every car I've owned, never cleaned them or oiled them, just put them on and ran them. Never had any problems and I knew they were better then anything stock from the manufacturer. Heck sometimes I even forgot about them, life was good. But now many manufacturers are on to K&N and they produce their own quality air filters in the past 20+ years. And I'm sure filter technology has evolved a lot since the 80's although i couldn't tell how it has myself. So is K&N still the end all & be all when it comes to airfilters?
I ordered my my 2010 SRT8 Challenger with the Mopar factory performance air intake system. Although mine came with the Mopar blue filter my air pipe is not the silver pipe and it doesn't have the blue "Mopar" painted on it. Anyway I'm getting ready to install the Cervini's "ram air" PKG on my Challenger. The install kit came with everything including 2 K&N air filters. One is a direct replacement for the stock air filter while the other looks to me to be a breather of some sort. I was planning on swapping out the Mopar one for the K&N air filter but after reading all the way through this topic and its subsequent reply's I'm not so sure any more. Maybe dryer is better air filter wise but seeings how I never oiled any of my K&N filters to begin with, is this a problem? Any thoughts either way on this before I proceed with with the Cervini's ram air install?

Re: the catch can so I've been told is a necessary item that should be installed sooner vs later due to Mopars failure to address the issue during the engine design phase. As I understand it, it catches (contains) sludge build up and prevents its ingestion back into the engine. Our cars are new and still under warranty so this isn't an issue yet. However after several years and more miles along with expired warranties, this could be an issue. I think Moroso makes this part and it is sold by shopHEMI.com, FYI. Part costs $250, I think. Hope this helps you out some.

Re: throttle body cleaning by dealer - Although pricey, I think its a good thing assuming it cleans not only the throttle body but also the fuel injectors as well. And the dealership you went to did in fact knock a few bucks off the price of the job so what's not to like, IMHO?