Old 11-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Mopar_Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It happens

I love the Dodge Stealth. I had a 91 R/T, non-turbo and an auto. It wasn't very fast, but would whoop on a V6 Camaro or Mustang. And would hang with the auto V8 mustangs. I really enjoyed the car, but it did have its share of problems:

Had to get a bent control arm replaced: $600
Had to get new HP tires for it: $600
Motherboard computer fried: $1200
New transmission: $3200

I always took it to A MITSUBISHI dealership, as I thought maybe they "knew" the car better than the folks at the Dodge dealer

When I traded it for my Ram, all brake rotors were under spec, and the front brakes would wear dramatically uneven on one side, axle was popping due to a torn CV boot, engine was using and burning oil, even when using 20W-50 (Stealth, 3K gt owners- read your owner's manual, the manufacturer recommends 20W-50!) and it was well overdue for the timimg belt to be replaced.

Now these problems, for the most part could have been fixed, but I was tired of dumping money into the car. I had this car when I was in college, so money was tight.

I love these cars, but they are expensive to own and maintain. And I'm guessing the guy who has 240000 miles on his will have something to say, so I will say just wait, nothing lasts forever. I would like to hear the repair history on that car. Did you buy it new? If not, then I can assure you it is not the original trans in that car. There is no way that those Getrag trannies could get 240000 miles on it and never have to be rebuilt or replaced. Scratch that, just replaced, because the manufacturer of those Getrags never put out any replacement parts for their transmissions, so they always had to be replaced with a new one. There was a lawsuit against that company that made those transmissions. I learned that when I was a member of 3si.org years ago.