Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Hood Pins

Old 03-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK 6050
Just wanted to ask why you mounted the pins so as to have the pins entering from the side unlike the original Challenger back in the day. If you look at a ’70 or ’71 with factory hood pins, you will see the pin enters from the front. Not putting yours down, as they look good, just asking……
I have been toying with adding “real” hood pins, but…………the thought of the drill bit slipping, or perhaps drilling the hole slightly off, etc….makes me consider going with the fake pins as well…………
Pretty much every 70-74 Challenger that I've seen had them from the side. Most Cudas have them comming in through the front. My T/A has the from the side also. Besides I personall think they look better from the side.

Last edited by RareTA; 03-23-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:14 PM

If you look close this it the car the day I brought it home. It sat from 79 till 90 when I got it. It also had the paint worn off the top of the fenders from the pins being pulled.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM

^ car still looks sexy as hell!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 AM

Actually, I have to respectfully disagree with the orientation of the hood pins as all the "original" performance Mopars I have seen throughout the years have the pin entering from the front. If you think about the reasoning behind hood pins and their use in auto racing, this makes the most sense as they are in place to be removed quickly. This means that a pit member could pull the pin towards himself…not to the side which would be both harder and more time consuming. Not saying there are not “restored” Mopars out there with hood pins entering from the side, just saying that’s not how the factory did it. All of my performance Mopars in the pass have had the pins entering from the front. I have a set of original NOS hood pins still in the box and I am looking for them (somewhere in the dark hole known as the garage) as the installation instructions clearly show the pin entering from the front. If you do a search on any 1969-1970 model RT (Charger or Challenger) you will see the pins entering from the front.
I really don’t want to make a big deal out of this as an owner can do whatever and however he or she wants to mod their vehicle…just trying to keep the record straight regarding vehicles that had hood pins as an original option from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails 70-ta-challenger-hood-pins.jpg   70_scat_pack0008.jpg  

Last edited by BLK 6050; 03-24-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 AM

honestly i believe both of you are right on mounting the hood pins
i think it actually depended on who was putting them together on
any particular day and what their personal preference was as i have seen
so called survivor cars with the pins both ways.

this one is supposed to be completely original except the carpet
http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/di...2&location=STL
as you can see they are the way RareTa has his mounted

if i can find an unmolested with the pins the other way i will update
Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 AM

This is the 173 mile T/A that Barry authenticated. I have the DVD of it's details. The car was feathered in Carlisle 05. It is a Mr Norms car and as you can see they are in from the side. But as you said there is no need to get out of hand with this. It has been a source of controversy for years as to how they were put in.
Attached Thumbnails exterior13-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by RareTA; 03-24-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by RareTA
They are the stick on ones. There is no way I have big enough balls to drill ten holes in the hood. This way if I decide they need to go there will not be any sign of them.
Those stick on pins look good. where did you get them.

I would like to get a set. like you I dont want to drill holes in my hood.

also the core support is farther back & dont think the would look good that far back.

Plus who would be able to tell when you cruising around.

thanks for info
Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 PM

well boys and girls, only 4 days away from my hood work, finally, she gets the royal treatment, hood paint, hood pins, paint touchups and then a full polish.... I can hardly wait.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hurst pak
Those stick on pins look good. where did you get them.

I would like to get a set. like you I dont want to drill holes in my hood.

also the core support is farther back & dont think the would look good that far back.

Plus who would be able to tell when you cruising around.

thanks for info
I got mine here :http://www.americanmuscle.com/

They have them on sale right now. I was just on their site and they are listed on the first page under sale items.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by canadiancanuck
well boys and girls, only 4 days away from my hood work, finally, she gets the royal treatment, hood paint, hood pins, paint touchups and then a full polish.... I can hardly wait.
I was just thinking about your car the other day. I was wondering if you got all your install stuff dome. we are waiting for some pics. This is going to be awesome when you get it done.

Quick Reply: Hood Pins