Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Hood Vents

Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hood Vents

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

I had to do something to slow it down. I wanted those R/T's and SE's to be able catch up.

Good line, Paladin.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:38 AM

I'm with Jeremiah on this one. Lessening engine compartment temps does help, but that is "heat extraction" and exactly how Dodge referred to it with the scoop on the Charger SRT8...which essentially dumps air exactly over the exhaust manifolds like the Challenger. Hood scoops when referred to as "functional" have always meant "ram air" effect, whether on an Olds, Ponitac, Mopar or others. Only now, do we seem to be "expanding" the definition.

Don't get me wrong, hell, I'm glad they're not just blocked off or dummy plates in this day and age. But you have to admit, when we all saw the original concept w/ scoops and butterfly valve openings, NONE of us was thinking heat extraction....
Old 12-14-2008, 01:44 PM

Dodgebros,

Well said, it's all about the money. It is absolutely an awesome car, it would have been even better if they would have built the working hood scoops. This could & should have been done with the First Edition Challengers.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Guys, cooling the intake air is all ram-air has ever actually accomplished, no matter what generation we're talking about. The current rendition just does it more indirectly. It forces the heat off of the exhaust manifolds downward under the car and away from the air box. This lowers the temps of the air intake equalling the performance gains of the old style that pulled cooler air from above the hood and dirt, crud, birds and small children. There was no ram air effect (increased cylinder filling above ambiant atmospheric pressure) from those old systems. The wee bit of forced air effect didn't begin until 70'ish Mph and even then it wasn't more than a few tenths of a percent. This is really over simplified but the benefits of ram air has more to do with air flow than pressurization. The flow benefits of the modern airbox and intake runners is already there so all you need is cooler air charging hence the functional scoops.

Now, one of the problems "ram air" systems did solve was on cars that had an overly restrictive air intake configuration. Due to how air flowed over and around the car some system would experience negative air pressure around the carbs that left the engines starving for fresh air. Scoops solved the problem by letting the engine pull from high pressure zones near the base of the windsheild (cowl induction).

So, our systems are "functional". Just as functional as any.

ORIGINAL: 70sguy

Dodgebros,

Well said, it's all about the money. It is absolutely an awesome car, it would have been even better if they would have built the working hood scoops. This could & should have been done with the First Edition Challengers.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:44 PM

Again, if described as a "functional heat extractor" there would be no debate/discussion. Personally, I would have loved to see them do ducting from the drivers side scoop to the air box and the passenger side dumping over exhaust manifold. In all cases, limited value (as you correctly described) but would have held to the retro theme of the car better.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM

I purchased a set of the SRT hood scoops that are fnctional once installed but no instructions on installation and I do not want to scratch the paint, the dealer has never installed them and is hesitant to install, has anyone tried to install these yet?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 PM

I have the same dilemma as well, I'm too worried I may scratch something, but I figure if I can slide a plastic card under the bottom lip of the scoops and gently pry upwards it should come out without any damage to the car, may break the insert, but I am wondering of you remove the insulated pad from under the hood, there may be more access to teh scopps from underneath to just pop the clip?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 PM

I thought the same thing about pulling off the hood insulation but before I tear somethign up I thought I would ask the question
Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 PM

ok so you are all going to laugh .... after this was posted I figured hey what the hell I'll go out and look more at it, so 10mins later I attempted the swap, was FREAKIN easy.... ok , so i used a piece of paper towel, a very thin flat head screw driver and rivet remover..... ok so

your local auto store should have a rivet remover.... it's like a screwdriver but it looks sort of like a Y at the end of it, it designed to assist in removing the plastic clips without breaking them.... anyways.

anyways I placed the rolled/ folded papertowel and took the flat screwdriver and gently started to tuck the screwdriver and papertowel into the bottom of the lip of the insert, and gently pryed up, enough to get the rivet tool under the lip of the scoop, so I removed the screwdriver and left the rivet tool ontop of the papertowel and slowly slid it to the center of the scoop, and gently pryed up and it popped the scoop out, it was really quite simple and easy, I fed the rubber flange through and popped the new scoops into place and pressed the center of the scoop til it clicked into place.

if you lift from the center of the scoop it releases both of the clips, when you look at the new inserts the clips look really long, well they aren't and they do pop up very easy.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Are the louvers that go through the hood a hard or soft plastic? Did you conect them to the new vents before final installation?

Quick Reply: Hood Vents