Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Too Much Bling?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Too Much Bling?

I was putting Pypes new stainless exhaust tips on in the garage,when the wife came in. She said "don't you think you have enough syuff on the challenger yet"? I said "why? I think the car is looking cool". She said," honey--you're going geto--too much bling". She might be right--but I like it. When we met in 1981--I had a 71 challenger with Teddy Bear Fur on the dash & back window. We've been married since 1983--I must be doing something right.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 AM

I may have to agree with your wife. The car is sweet looking stock but a few upgrades can defiantly add to the look. But there is a place where to much is possible. There are some cars out there that have really went over the top.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Sounds as if your wife has pretty much the same attitude as mine....she feels that the Challenger looks great the way it is, so why add (in many cases expensive) additional dress up items. It really comes down to the personal tastes of the owner and what they are hoping to achieve in regards to the "end-product". Since day one when I parked my new 2008 Challenger SRT8 in the garage I have tried to add little details that "highlight" the original design, not change it. If I was looking to make major changes, I would then question whether I purchased the correct auto. But, (and it's a very big but) I am a "car guy" and like most all car guys I am never really happy with the basic package. The temptation to change and add things to make it better than stock is to great. The secret is to know "when enough is enough", and when one more thing is too much. When I attend car shows I find that it's the "clean" cars that really stand out, not what we use to call the "Cal Custom" specials. (Many of the older members will remember the huge Cal Custom" sections at your local K-mart or auto parts stores.....with such products as the Surfer Gas Petal, Chrome Door Lock Pulls, etc, etc). It really is to easy to get carried away with add-ons to the point where your car is just a bunch of parts thrown together, and not a completed package where everything tries together. This is where "pre-planning" and having a set goal come into play....know what look you are trying to achieve and then go for it, and don't worry about what others feel....because in the big picture....it's your car and you have to live with it. [Just my two cents]
Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 AM

Well put BLK 6050.....and yes I do remember the Cal Custum display. In fact I still have a brand new, as in the package, Surfer Gas Petal. I have the matching dimmer switch still in the package also. Guess that dates me pretty well. I'll bet a lot of our younger members don't even know that the dimmer switch was on the floor and not the blinker handle.

Last edited by RareTA; 04-19-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:14 AM

RareTA, I remember---I had a 70 Dart with the big rubber foot pump for the windshield washer next to the dimmer switch--remember those?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Taseful Mods

Originally Posted by BLK 6050
The temptation to change and add things to make it better than stock is to great. The secret is to know "when enough is enough", and when one more thing is too much.
That's exactly the way I feel. The mods on my SRT have been confined to MOPAR items (i.e., T-shifter, Challenger carpets, sills, CAI, and BT engine dress-up items). Less is sometimes more!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:15 AM

Guys this is not a good reason to bring back curb feelers. Some things are better left in the 70's like Yosemite Sam mud flaps, big foot accelerator (gas) pedals, vinyl roofs, etc!
Old 05-01-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cuda340
That's exactly the way I feel. The mods on my SRT have been confined to MOPAR items (i.e., T-shifter, Challenger carpets, sills, CAI, and BT engine dress-up items). Less is sometimes more!
Less might be more, unless you are trying to do something specific or have an overall theme in mind. Personally I'm trying to re-create that which was lost when I got my greetings from Uncle Sam letter oh so long ago. Can't afford an orignal and don't have the skillset to do a restore, so I'm mixing old with new.

Eibach Pro Kit is installed (springs with front & rear adjustable sway bars), Magnaflow exhaust & MOPAR CAI are on, Trinty is programed & installed. So are a couple of "little" bling parts like T-Handle Shifter, Billet pedals & a coupe of billet engine caps. The new three-piston calipers are in the garage, and the hood is on order & will go for paint as soon as it gets here. Oh & the ported 85mm throtle body swap & dyno run are schedule for 5/14/2010.

At damn near a grand for every mod I do I don't think I'm ending up with Ricer-Boy anything.
Attached Thumbnails 1971-dodge-scat-pack-brochure-4.jpg   pc2.jpg   cuda-hood.jpg