Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

2006 Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept

Old 01-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept

Listen to it roar: http://progressive.powerstream.net/002/00317/rev.mp3

Is this SEMA concept a glimpse at the Dodge Challenger SRT8?

By ROGER HART
6:00 am, December 29, 2006
The annual Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas is much like the host city: It celebrates wretched excess. Not that we have anything against 24-hour all-you-can-eat buffets, silicone-enhanced “hostesses” or 500-hp Honda Civics riding on 20-inch wheels. Trust us, we don’t. The trick at SEMA is to find a real gem or two among all the glam. One of the models (the ones with four wheels, that is) that caught our eye at this year’s show was the Dodge Challenger Super Stock (“Red, White & Bad,” Nov. 6, 2006).

Sure, part of it was the see-it-from-a-mile-away Evel Knievel paint job adorning the latest version of the Challenger, the concept version of which was unveiled at last year’s Detroit show. But what really got our imagination in gear was the 6.4-liter Hemi under the hood cranking out 525 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque.

So naturally, we asked if we could drive it. Knowing Chrysler rarely builds a show car that isn’t a driver, we thought there would be a good chance to slip behind the wheel for some reconnaissance laps. Little did we know that prior to the car showing up in Las Vegas, it got a few shakedown runs by Ron Mancini at Mike Pustelny Racing in Almont, Michigan. MPR has a history of building NHRA Stock and Super Stock cars, as well as Sport Compact drag cars. So when our chance came to be the first journalists to get seat time—at the test track near company headquarters in Auburn Hills, Michigan—there were no restrictions.

In fact, just to make it clear, Ralph Gilles, vice president Jeep/Truck and component design for DCX and the man who had the car built for SEMA, climbed in and was the first to drop the hammer.

Make no mistake, the Challenger Super Stock is one tire-smoking machine. The fuel-injected 392 Hemi crate motor mated to an A999 TorqueFlite transmission with manual valve body and Turbo Action 3800 stall speed converter, easily transforms the 29x10.5 Goodyear Eagle drag slicks into great clouds of smoke.

“This is built to conform with NHRA standards, with a full roll cage, fuel cell, all the safety stuff,” Gilles said.

“Basically, we looked at what we wanted to do for SEMA and said, ‘What could an individual do if this were their car?’ ”
Roger Hart

Gilles’ team worked with the Mopar aftermarket parts group in putting together the show car that is based on the yet-to-be-released production Challenger, a descendent of the 1970-74 muscle cars. Even though the production car is still more than a year away, Gilles said this one-off concept’s dimensions are true to form with what customers will buy in 2008.

“All the proportions are correct,” he said. The chassis came from a cut-down Magnum SRT8 platform. The body panels were hand-built, working from the concept car dimensions. The fabrication was done in-house by DCX employees in Auburn Hills.

No word yet on what an SRT8 version of the Challenger would be, but our first drive of this show car gives us a hint at the possibilities.

Climbing behind the wheel of the Challenger Super Stock is just like getting into a race car. Pop the steering wheel off and then step in over the side roll bar and get comfortable in the race bucket. Hook up the Simpson five-point harness and begin the ignition sequence: Flip the power switch on, turn on the fuel pump and cooling fans and then hit the starter. The Hemi quickly roars to life, and with open exhausts coming right off the headers, it makes some serious muscle-car noise.

We took the car out on a short handling course, but in this configuration, with the drag racing rubber all around, the car had a lot of body roll. A road-racing car this is not.

Get to a
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 PM

Default RE: 2006 Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Is this SEMA concept a glimpse at the Dodge Challenger SRT8?

By ROGER HART
6:00 am, December 29, 2006
One of the models that caught our eye at this year’s show was the Dodge Challenger Super Stock (“Red, White & Bad,” Nov. 6, 2006).

Sure ...... the latest version of the Challenger, the concept version of which was unveiled at last year’s Detroit show. But what really got our imagination in gear was the 6.4-liter Hemi under the hood cranking out 525 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque..

“This is built to conform with NHRA standards, with a full roll cage, fuel cell, all the safety stuff,” Gilles said.

Gilles’ team worked .... in putting together the show car that is based on the yet-to-be-released production Challenger, a descendent of the 1970-74 muscle cars. Even though the production car is still more than a year away, Gilles said this one-off concept’s dimensions are true to form with what customers will buy in 2008.

“All the proportions are correct,” he said. The chassis came from a cut-down Magnum SRT8 platform. The body panels were hand-built, working from the concept car dimensions. The fabrication was done in-house by DCX employees in Auburn Hills.

AT A GLANCE:
2006 DODGE CHALLENGER SUPER STOCK CONCEPT

DRIVETRAIN: 6.4-liter, 525-hp, 510-lb-ft V8; rwd, three-speed automatic

CURB WEIGHT: 3596 lbs

I find this information VERY VERY INTERESTING!!

First, the Dodge Challenger Super Sport Concept is built off a cut-down Magnum SRT8 platform.....is this indicative of the real-world 2008 Challenger?

Secondly, its got the NHRA safety equipment....how much does all this stuff weigh?

Finally, the curb weight is listed as 3596 lbs.......That is amazing low! What did they take out or leave out that the production Challenger will have? If the production Challenger weighs in at 3600 lbs we will have a true heavyweight in the muscle car division (pun intended)[]

My point is that the 2008 production Challenger could be a lightweight!

All the better for superior handling, better gas mileage, and maybe a smidgen better acceleration!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Default RE: 2006 Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept

its not going to be lightweight...the detcha car weighs 4160. that car likely has no actual bumpers, and is more like a pro stock car. lexan windows, no door mechanisms, no HVAC, no AV stuff...etc.

The Challenger itself, on the LY platform, is a shortened version of the LX platform.

saying that something has NHRA equipment only means that it would meet NHRA restrictions based on how fast your car is...if the car weighs 3596, and has a 200lb driver, that is a track weight of around 3796. even if the car has ZERO drivetrain loss (and we all know that is impossible) and the car gets perfect traction, it is only good for mid to low 11s. thats with a track weight of 3796 and a whp of 525. i would venture to say that if the bhp is truly 525, the whp would be somewhere around 488 whp...it would be a 11.55ish car, and at that speed, a bone stock car off any showroom technically meets NHRA requirements.