Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

2008 CHICAGO AUTO SHOW HIGHLIGHTS

Old 02-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 CHICAGO AUTO SHOW HIGHLIGHTS

I only included the section that pertains to the Challenger but did not include the entire article which had to do with other cars.

2008 CHICAGO AUTO SHOW HIGHLIGHTS

By Steve Purdy and Thom Cannell

TheAutoChannel.com
Detroit Bureau

As usual the early February weather in Chicago was humbling. Cold winds, wet snow and the Super Tuesday primary elections dominated the news as we began our immersion in the 100th Chicago Auto Show. Not the 100th anniversary. That was a few years ago. Factor in the lack of auto shows during WWII, and two shows in 1937 and . . . well, some one did the math to confirm this to be the 100th. We’ll take them at their word.

Compared to the Detroit show a few weeks ago Chicago is a breeze to cover. Well organized, relaxed and spacious, Chicago hosts about a third the activity in about three times the space. McCormick Place is a magnificent venue for an auto show. Lots to see, do and report on, for us dedicated auto scribes.

Steve: GM’s Troy Clark opened the show with a pep talk over breakfast about energy solutions and GM’s plans to build cars people want to buy, within the continued pursuit of 5 types of green technologies, allowing buyers to choose which suits their needs best. From current gasoline electric hybrids, to plug-ins, to hydrogen fuel cells GM wants the leadership role. In fact, 100 fuel cell-powered Chevy Equinox crossovers will soon be in the hands of potential customers for real world testing, Clark revealed.

Clark’s big news of the day was an announcement that GM’s partnership with Illinois-based Coskata, revealed at the Detroit show in January, will have its first commercial cellulosic ethanol plant up and running later this year, demonstrating that ethanol can be made more efficiently from non-grain, often waste product, sources. Bravo. Clark hinted they could even use old tires as fodder.

Thom: Cellulosic ethanol is a genuinely significant breakthrough, if and when it begins production in commercial quantity. As most Americans know, we have a waste disposal problem of epic proportions, and the ability to convert much of the landfill waste stream into useful fuel is mind-bendingly important. Stacks of tires; fuel. Old baby diapers, paper towels, paper and plastic bags; fuel. Industrial waste—cardboard, plastic, sawdust—becomes fuel. If it were not for GM backing the technology I would be more skeptical. This promises to be a paradigm shifter.

Steve: Over at the GM display Sue Wilson, vehicle line manager, brought her husband and four kids along to introduce the new Chevy Traverse, a large crossover sharing the Lambda platform with the phenomenally successful Buick Enclave and less sought after Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia. With distinctively Chevy styling and an unmistakable kinship to the aforementioned siblings, I found it very attractive in a simple Chevy kind of way. A direct-injected, 281-hp V6, 6-speed automatic, 4,500- pound towing capacity, and room for up to 8 adults makes it plenty competent - at dealers later this year. Let’s see if they can price it right. Traverse will be built initially in Spring Hill with overflow production assigned to Lansing if demand is great enough.

Thom: This was my favorite production vehicle. The styling is spot on, with a pinched “fast” D-pillar area for sporty styling and a bold Malibu-like nose. However, eight adults? Uhhh, maybe ethnically pure Orientals?

Steve:

Acura introduced their next generation RL line of luxury performance sedans - to be at dealers in a few months - with new 300-hp engine, “more distinctive styling” and lots of upgrades in technology. Chassis and engine controls as well as entertainment, connectivity and navigation all see improvements. Standard on all RLs are this new 3.7-liter engine, all-wheel drive, Bose sound system, Bluetooth compatibility and plenty more. Dick Colliver, distinguished, white-haired, executive VP of sales guar
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.