Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Brings Back 70s Powerhouse: Chicago Auto Show Preview

Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Brings Back 70s Powerhouse: Chicago Auto Show Preview

February 6, 2008

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Brings Back 70s Powerhouse: Chicago Auto Show Preview

CHICAGO — An absence of 35 years from the American musclecar market has made the all-new Dodge Challenger one of the most anticipated new car intros of the year. We’ve been waiting pateniently for this bad boy since 2005, and the Hemi-powered musclecar is destined to be the star of this year’s Chicago Auto Show. That’s to say nothing of the SRT8 on the road, so click here for our full driving impressions.

As far as colors go, the first year of Challenger production will be restricted to orange, silver and black—that’s it. All first-year production will be limited to SRT models, powered by the Chrysler 6.1-liter Hemi engine producing 425 hp and 420 lb.-ft. of torque, coupled to a 5-speed automatic transmission with full manual control.

Unlike the bare-bones Hemi Challengers of the early 1970s, the new Challenger SRT will be available with a wide range of modern options, including keyless entry, a 40GB music file, satellite navigation and hands-free communication.

Also unlike the original, the Challenger SRT uses short- and long-arm front suspension and five-link rear suspension adapted from the Chrysler 300/Dodge Magnum/Dodge Charger platform, ABS brakes, traction control, stability control and monster Goodyear RS-A P245/45-20 front and P265/45R-20 rear on 20-in. forged aluminum wheels. Goodyear F1Supercar tires are optional. The SRT version has red-caliper 14.2-in. front and 13.8-in. Brembo disc brakes similar to those used on the Viper. It also comes with a locking differential.

Dodge is quoting some pretty hot performance numbers for the 4100-pound Challenger SRT: zero-60 mph in under five seconds, zero-100-zero mph in less than 17 seconds and a quarter-mile elapsed time of less than 14 seconds. The car should stop from 60 mph in about 100 feet and travel around the skidpad generating 0.88 g.

The special 2008 SRT version of the Challenger will be go on sale this May for $37,995. Next year, full production of the Challenger will restart, with SRT, SXT and R/T models, including several other powertrain options including V-6 and V-8 engines. —Jim McCraw

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.