Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

2010 Price Increase

Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Price Increase

Leftlane news has reported that there will be a price increase in all Challenger models for 2010. This is the 2nd year in a row for increases. Dumb move!This widens the gap price-wise between the Camaro and Mustang. Here is the entire article:

2010 Dodge Challenger gets price increase
08/19/2009, 11:58 AM

By Drew Johnson

The pony cars wars are almost as much about price as they are about performance, which may land the 2010 Dodge Challenger at the bottom of the pack. Although the 2010 model will essentially be a carryover of the 2009 car, Chrysler has announced price increases for all three trim levels of the Challenger.

The top-level Challenger SRT8 will see the biggest price hike, with Chrysler adding $1,010 to the muscle car’s window sticker. That increase brings the 2010 Challenger SRT8’s MSRP to $41,230, not including a $725 destination charge.

The Challenger SRT8 was already at a performance disadvantage to the Chevrolet Camaro SS – which offers 1 more horsepower but with 300 fewer pounds to carry around – and the 2010 price increase only increases the price disparity between the two. Comparing base models of each vehicle, the Camaro SS now undercuts the Challenger SRT8 by a significant $10,985.

Chrysler will also increase pricing on the 2010 SE and R/T Challenger models, albeit not by as much as the SRT model. The SE model will see a price increase of $515 – bringing the cost on entry to $22,735 – with the R/T receiving a bump of $640 to $30,860.

08/19, 12:04 PM

posted by:
Samintosh

I won’t even take for FREE… Seriously, not kidding!

08/19, 12:05 PM

posted by:
DenverGuy217

Thank you Chrysler!

08/19, 12:07 PM

posted by:
eff1Fifty

WOW! The SRT8 is really cheap!….FOR A BOAT!
I’ll stick with the Mustang, its the cheapest of the pack and its light as a feather.
Its like Chrysler/Fiat is doing all they can to drive away customers. 10K price difference??? U can’t look me in the eye and seriously tell me that ppl don’t consider a 10k difference when making that purchase, even if its just a Sunday Driver

08/19, 12:07 PM

posted by:
CADDY-V

That’s a great business move. Let’s raise the price. I would have loved to be in the meeting when this was decided. Are competition is less than us so we need to raise the price!!

08/19, 12:15 PM

posted by:
idrinorbarsaku

Why would you raise the price on a car that is perceived by the consumers to be a piece of sh!t??? Makes no sense imo! However, a nicely loaded mustang gt does:-)

08/19, 12:16 PM

posted by:
strongbad

Other than a looks preference, why would anyone buy a SRT8 over an SS? $10K? There have been many Challenger R/T vs Camaro SS comparison articles, and then readers complain that they chose an R/T instead of SRT8. But when it comes down to it, the prices have to be comparable, so its fair. A $10K premium in this segment to make a car on par with another is not worth it to anyone, unless you are a rich collector.

08/19, 12:17 PM

posted by:
skyaficionado

The 2010 Challenger: Least competitive in it’s class! $11K more than it’s closest competitor! Worse Fuel Economy than Chevrolet and Ford! Come in to your Dodge Dealership to buy yours now. PLEASE!!!!!???? We’re begging you!!!!!

08/19, 12:29 PM

posted by:
Borat

You guys forgot who owns this joint. It is what 55% UAW and 15% CAW with 25% left for FIAT and the rest our respectful (or not) governments of Canada and US of A. Are you looking for reasonable decision making or consumer oriented one? Of course it will be expensive and bloated. Not as bloated as our combined bureaucracies, but it is union and government owned entity. What do you expect?

08/19, 12:31 PM

posted by:
johnnycanuck

I think it’s still the best looking of the 3 but that doesn’t justify this. And when the Mustang gets the Coyote V8 it will be an even tougher sell. If Chrysler keeps this crap up round two of the Challenger will end up like round one. Still should have been a ‘Cuda.

08/19, 12:31 PM

posted by:
eff1Fifty

Idrinorbarsaku… “did we just become best friends?!?” – Step Brothers
Mustanf GT + supercharger = cheaper than an SRT8, and u still have cash left over if u wanna upgrade ur brakes, suspension, wheels, etc.

08/19, 12:39 PM

posted by:
eff1Fifty

*Mustang, sorry
Shoulda been a cuda is right! In fact, don’t they make cuda conversion kits for the challengers? That should be a dealership option!

08/19, 12:42 PM

posted by:
Payton Byrd

Even through the recession these cars were selling. The Camaro and Challenger are very different. These cars are emotional purchases, and the people out to spend $40k on a Challenger SRT8 might be annoyed by a $1000 increase, they certainly aren’t going to run over to a Chevy dealer to get a Camaro or to a Ford dealer to get a Mustang. Chrysler has done a good job of differentiating the Challenger from the Mustang and Camara (as a matter of fact, all three are very well positioned to cater to their fan base). Even back in the days of the first muscle cars the Chryslers were always bigger and more expensive. Remember, we’re talking about a 2.5% increase on the SRT8. That’s nowhere near the cost of inflation.

Some people need to get a grip of reality.

08/19, 12:49 PM

posted by:
leftwingagenda

I doubt anybody who favored the Challenger before would have this price bump change their mind…the folks poo-pooing the challenger in this thread would poo-poo it at any price (as some have already said the wouldn’t take a free one [which is frankly quite dumb]), but that’s not looking at things from the perspective of a serious potential buyer who likes the car already…not everybody, in fact the minority of people, probably make their buying decisions on whether a cheaper car did better on a skid pad…

08/19, 1:03 PM

posted by:
MemphisNET

What most of you are forgetting is that your dollar is in the ****ter, so everything is going to inflate. When the 300C/Magnum R/T launched in Canada, 43-46k was the sticker price. Civics crept into 25k territory, and we’re not even talking about Si models.
So.. enjoy my friends to the south. You’re in for real ’sticker-shock’ over the next couple of months.

08/19, 1:03 PM

posted by:
JakeK66

Leftwing is right, as I am a Mustang fan – always have been since I was little, I wouldn’t think about the Challenger to begin with. I’m holding out for the 2011 Mustnag right now.
On the Challenger’s defense, it’s got a very nice interior. I give them credit where it’s due, the interior maybe plain, but it’s built better than it’s own LX platform mates. Go figure.

08/19, 1:17 PM

posted by:
johnnycanuck

Jake- a Mustnag? You getting married in 2011 as well?

08/19, 1:19 PM

posted by:
howsmydriving

Camaro is so superior to Mustang it’s not even funny. If you think otherwise, you’re entitled to your opinion, but you simply know nothing about cars.

08/19, 1:27 PM

posted by:
teahead

Stupid.
Justified if they put a 6.4L in the SRT8.

08/19, 1:28 PM

posted by:
drinorbarsaku

howsmydriving,
go drive the new mustang and a new camaro and you will realize how wrong you are!

08/19, 1:30 PM

posted by:
eff1Fifty

Ok here’s the deal: what does a challenger offer besides different sheetmetal? Anybody who has been inside a charger or a 300 has been inside of a challenger, they are the same generic dodge interiors, YAWN. We are poo pooing this car because chrysler took a highly anticipated product and didn’t deliver the goods, so to speak, it was a let down. Same engine, same interior, same yawn.

Its not always about who is fastest 0-60, Mustang brought so much innovation to the segment (I agree about how the rear suspension set up is from the dinosaur ages, I will give u guys that). Glass roof, lighted interior, a thoghtful choice of interior materials, LED tails with sequential blinkers… the most innovation I’ve seen from a camaro is that it stood up in a movie, oh that and I saw a brand new SS with a blown out tail light, it didn’t even have plates yet. I would expect that from chrysler…

Mustang hasn’t stopped production EVER for a reason, superior product

08/19, 1:37 PM

posted by:
Nightblack_97

—-How’s my Driving—–
Better in terms of what….
Not everyone judges a car by it’s lap times around the “Ring”
As someone who has put 10,000 plus hours into car research over the last ten or fifteen years, I would hands down take the mustang gt!!
Better materials, better interior… which you’ll be looking at ninety percent of the time you own the car
Better reliability, and it still has a vintage car feel with the rear axel.
And if you wanted a cutting edge sports car, why in heck are you looking at muscle cars

08/19, 1:43 PM

posted by:
DenverGuy217

” Mustang hasn’t stopped production EVER for a reason, superior product”
I’d attribute it more towards continued Hertz purchase orders……

08/19, 1:47 PM

posted by:
eff1Fifty

Thank u!
And performance doesn’t lack either. Look up the MT comparisson, the mustang was only like .20 of a second behind the camaro and there is a 130 hp difference! (Can’t wait for the Coyote V8!) AND the MT guys said that the mustang handled best of the three, menos el live rear axel

08/19, 1:49 PM

posted by:
eff1Fifty

Cuz hertz knows what’s up!
Lol, id rent one

08/19, 2:00 PM

posted by:
JakeK66

Touche JohnnyC – First I need a gf that isn’t a complete b!tch to have any hope for marriage by 2011. I’ve tried dating foreign and domestics but niether seems to fit my lifestyle. The last was a Brit, but she liked to break down alot and leak, but she did have a gorgeous exterior, I give her that.

08/19, 2:06 PM

posted by:
johnnycanuck

Payton, what I believe you’re failing to consider is that much like the feeding frenzy going on with the Camaro right now most of the die hard ‘emotional’ buyers already have their Challengers. Now you’re left mainly with people who just like the segment and as strange a concept as it may seem some people really don’t care if it’s a Chevy, Ford or Dodge. They are the ones who are going to look at all of them and conclude that the Challenger is the heaviest, the thirstiest, the slowest and the most expensive.
You’re into politics. I think they call this the ’swing’ vote.

08/19, 2:09 PM

posted by:
johnnycanuck

Jake, a lot of them leak. I think it’s something to do with their head gasket!

08/19, 2:46 PM

posted by:
elmdodge

limit the supply increase the demand , there are no dealers left to buy them from ,you will be lucky to see any , thanks auto task force !

08/19, 2:47 PM

posted by:
JakeK66

Johnny, I think many people are also discounting the fact that many of the buying public are rooting on Ford for not taking part of the government ownership and whatnot. Ford can tell people to look at their product, know the company they are buying from is one of relative strength and innovation, and many will conclude that the Mustang is lighter, but also the most practical in it’s unpractical class for day-to-day errands and be quite a looker too all at a lower price than it’s competition. Huh, it’s funny because that in a nutshell explains why Ford Mustang has not only outsold, but survived the competion year after year.

08/19, 3:07 PM

posted by:
mayer_ray_nagin

It’s a good business move. When the Challenger stops selling because of this they can quickly retool and build Dodge Ram trucks on the same platform.

08/19, 3:11 PM

posted by:
beatusmongous

Jake, maybe check out some station wagons or minivans. You might be surprised at how well built they actually are, and their performance on the road might surprise you as well. Best of all, they can carry a lot of kids, so…

08/19, 3:12 PM

posted by:
JakeK66

beatus – They make a RWD Mustang wagon and I’ll buy it!

08/19, 3:32 PM

posted by:
KarLoveBoy88

And they wonder why they are in the mud puddle that they are now. They are making stupid decisions that are handicapping them. this and the decision to et the PT Cruiser live on is by far the stupidest.

08/19, 3:40 PM

posted by:
Blakkarr

The Challenger is a good car, but only if you re-tune the suspension. Stripping 300lbs out is not the deal breaker, it is the fact that it is a big car that is not tuned like a big car. You look at a Bentley Continental GT and that is a BIG, 5000+ lbs big, car and it is really very quick and nimble for a car that massive. There is no reason why the CHALLENGER can’t at least handle better off the lot. 4200lbs is not insurmountable. Tuners can do it, why can’t the factory?
That said, I wouldn’t buy one simply because it looks like something my Dad would drive. The MUSTANG is more my speed. The CAMARO misses me pretty wide being a more than a little to wild and crazy.
The MUSTANG hits that sweet spot in styling looking retrospective and modern in equal measure. Mechanically, I would like IRS but it has the best SLA ever.

08/19, 3:52 PM

posted by:
eff1Fifty

Lol, RWD mustang wagon vs Caddy CTS -V Wagon

08/19, 4:37 PM

posted by:
Perez

This is a dumb move of Chrysler, They should lower the price to get more people into their showrooms considering the Camaro has 420+ hp for 10K less and Mustang getting a new 5.0L DOHC 4-valve V8 and a RWD application of the 3.7L DOHC V6 which is said to produce around 300 hp with port injection.
Dont get me wrong, this car looks great but It’s really hard to swallow the price considering there are better options out there for the money.

08/19, 4:45 PM

posted by:
worst 3

I was looking for a price cut not on the challenger not an increase. not that it maters as i will not be buying for a few years any way. but the challenger is a bit over price compared to the Mustang and Camaro. well hopefully when the 300 is redone the Challenger will be redone to and it be lighter and have 400hp from the r/t. if they don’t may be the Camaro ss but i hear it has a front seat room is to small and im 6′ 1 but i have not sat in one yet, or if they keep the magnum and put a manual . never the mustang though because ever kid has one and there mother and sister have one too, and 1/2 the people who drive them drive like a$$ holes in the middle of heavy traffic and don’t know have to drive them and crash them in the winter. no offense to mustang owners who don’t drive like that.
If they keep the price that high they better be working on how to get the r/t numbers close to the Camaro ss and lower then the Mustang gt. it can be slower because it bigger and more every day but not at the point where it is now

08/19, 5:07 PM

posted by:
h82w8

There is a very limited customer base for this type of car, and increasing the price in a down economy seems to defy common sense, discouraging even more the demand. Oh wait, it’s a Chrysler. Never mind, this is SOP for them.

08/20, 7:13 AM

posted by:
fordman

The Mustang looks like my dogs doo doo on a bad day!
Who ordered the poo poo platter?

08/20, 11:07 AM

posted by:
elviososa

So this POS actually will increase in value over time??

08/21, 12:09 AM

posted by:
buytheredcar

The Challenger just looks silly to me.
Retro sillyness. Kinda like the “new” Beatle.
Except the Challenger never really looked good.
The car is sort of cartoonish. It has a skateboard like stance too.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Chrysler's standpoint, I don't know if it's a dumb move or not. Considering that many people (definitely not me, though) have been willing to lay out thousands over MSRP for a Challenger, Chrysler probably decided it's time for the corporation to get a bigger slice of the pie. Probably by the time the 2010s are available, Dodge dealers will have cut back on their gouging of the public, so people who've been waiting for the price of Challengers to go "down" will think that paying just the increased MSRP -- or even less -- will be a real bargain.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Good point Roswell. The Camaro is priced very competitively, but just like the early months of the Challenger, there is tight supply and dealers are gouging.

In the end though, the transactions should stabilize around MSRP. The price premium will probably ensure that the Challenger is always the rarest. Which is good or bad, depending on your perspective.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:56 PM

well they have me over a barrel for another $1,050 over the cost of my 09' and I'm being forced to buy a 2010 just to get out of my mechical riddled POS and into another but I have to pay the difference in pricing over top the repair and the and loss on my 09' so they have me by the balls for $13,000 woohooo gret move Chrysler... you are a shining example of top notch customer service!!!!! way to treat your customers fairly...
Old 09-06-2009, 05:29 PM

I read all the posts and there are alot of true statements here. Now this is just my take on things. Chrysler is just screwing the very people whose money kept them here. The taxpayers who are also are car buyers saved there butts and this is the thanks we get. Look at all the dealers that lost there businesses. Now with this poor business decision more dealers are heading down that same road. The only reason that they are hard to get is because they are making them so slowly. You ask why. Well it's because no vender wants to give them tons of parts on credit. They see the same thing we do and that is it's too overpriced now and they want to make it cost more. Thats a chance they are having a hard time accepting. Next the factory is building cars that are ordered because they are considered a sold car, but ones for inventory are not important enough to build. They don't have the money to spend on unordered cars. There is no real demand just a lack of product. I don't have anything for sale in my front yard. It's not because my stuff is so in demand, but I have nothing to sell. When i spoke to a Dodge dealer and he started his BS about how high the demand is and they can't even get them I just say cut the BS and tell them to tell the truth and blow smoke up someone elses behind. Dodge dealers are just becoming too greedy and seem to have forgoten how to sell cars. When you take the holdback money and the $3100-$3400 profit from the difference between MSRP and invoice they have a margin of around $4500-$4900 to work with. I ahve seen dealer just the other day who think that someone will still pay$5000 over MSRP for a srt. That's not going to happen right now with money being so tight and jobs being so few and far between. It's a nice car,but it's not a one of a kind gotta have one and I'm willing to pay whatever to have one kind of car. Chrysler really needs to take a step back and look at Ford and Chevy. Ford was struggling, but are making the right decisions to keep going without government help. Then there is Chevy. They needed money, but they are making a car that will perform in the same class as the Challenger, but for $10,000 less. That's good business sence. People say they are everywhere and a dime a dozen. I haven't seen very many, but they are selling alot of them. If I was able to make something that everyone would buy I would do it. Bottom line Chevy is making money and Chrysler isn't. Lower your price and they will buy. Make more and they will buy. Sell cars and make money. Make a few, overcharge and make a little money, but make more and charge a fair price and make alot of money. This isn't rocket science. Okay I'm done. Like I said this is my opinion and in no way do I think my opinion is any better than someone elses. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 AM

Default They are on their way !

I've been checking the dealer inventory at Dodge.com and they have a new icon 'ON IT'S WAY" or something to that effect. I appears the flood gates are opening on the 2010 Challengers, finally ! Most dealers in the Orange County Ca. area are getting 3-6 new Challengers real soon.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 AM

I too have been checkin out dealers to see if tke 10,s are comin in yet.They are,and they also told me that they are pricin them thousands over sticker.I am very dissapointed in their tactics and told them I will wait till they sit on em and don,t move em because of their huge markup.I told him when the snows flyin and they are still on the lots we shall see who is in the drivers seat.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security

When I first started pricing my '09, All the dealerships I found had them with a $10,000 mark up that they wouldn't budge on. That was back in March..

Sooo glad I told my parents I was looking to buy a Challenger, I had no idea my sister-in-law's uncle owned a dealership.. got it for invoice

Kinda wish I had waited until the B5's were out (I got the Deep Water Pearl), especially since I'm on deployment right now and can't drive it, but oh well. I don't regret the purchase in the slightest.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:55 PM

I have seen that they are slowly starting to deal or at least will consider talking to me. One dealer said that he would deal because he is paying Chrysler interest on the car because they finance thru the factory. They are realizing that the rich investor rush is over and now the working man is looking to get one and money IS AN ISSUE. The longer it sits the more they lose. They want to sell the car and make money and we just want to get a fair price on a nice car. Please tell me why we can't meet somewhere in the middle. Our tax money saves their butt and they have become greedy and in some cases rude to the very people who are keeping them in business. I am now starting to look at the Camaro. I own a 1969 SS and a 1989 IROC so another one would be out of the question. I will be talking to Chevy dealers the next few days and I will let everyone know what they are doing to sell cars. Later.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Great,I for one will be waiting to hear what you find out.

Quick Reply: 2010 Price Increase