Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Big Three plan new versions of high-power autos, with a difference

Old 11-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Three plan new versions of high-power autos, with a difference

Nov. 4, 2006, 1:50AM

Muscling up despite fuel prices

Big Three plan new versions of high-power autos, with a difference

By JIM MATEJA
Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - The Dodge Challenger is set to return in 2008 followed by the Chevy Camaro in 2009, both ready to duke it out with the Ford Mustang, which doesn't have to return because it never left when everyone else gave up on muscle cars.

Soon Chevy, Ford and Dodge will be at it again, trying to eke out more power and lower zero-to-60 times than the others to attract customers to their showrooms.

Muscle cars — small coupes packing large engines — were popularized in the late '60s and '70s and put out of business by the '80s when the oil embargo gave burning gas a leg up on burning rubber.

But, even with gas running $2 to $3 a gallon lately, the high-performance Camaro, Challenger and Mustang will soon be roaming the roadways again.

To celebrate, the Specialty Equipment Market Association used its annual convention in Las Vegas last week to pay tribute to the American muscle car.

The show featured the Big Three, with the domestics teaming up to display examples of old and new muscle, from legendary 1970 Hemi 'Cudas and rare '69-'70 Boss Mustangs, to supercharged 2007 Mustangs and Corvettes.

And to top it off, Dodge revealed it would sell a crate — so named because it comes in a crate ready to install in your car — version of its 6.1-liter Hemi V-8 through its dealerships rated at 540 horsepower. No price was given.

You can slip that crate into your car now or wait until 2008 to substitute it for the 6.1-liter, 425-horsepower Hemi that will be offered in the factory version of Challenger.

Although American muscle is returning, it's a different era. One eye is kept on the tachometer with the other on the fuel gauge.

Camaro, for example, will be powered by a 6-liter, 400-hp V-8 that promises to smoke the radials yet offer fuel management to shut down four cylinders when not needed to give it a 30 miles per gallon highway mileage rating.

In response, Ford is dusting off old Mustang monikers. It will offer at least one limited-edition Mustang each year starting in 2008, with the return of the Bullitt, named for the 1968 movie that featured a stunning car chase between a Mustang and Charger through San Francisco.

Ford also announced it is reviving the legendary 5-liter, 302-cubic-inch V-8 for the aftermarket with a new line of Boss 302 crate engines rated at 340 to 500 hp that will go on sale in early 2007.

Despite the new Boss crate engine and a variety of customized Boss Mustangs created by aftermarket shops on display at SEMA, Ford won't confirm it will bring back the famous Boss as one of Mustang's factory-built derivatives.

But Ford division general marketing manager John Felice said the automaker is going to fall back on its rich Mustang heritage for its limited editions — and refused to rule out Boss.

While Camaro/Challenger/Mustang got most of the attention, Pontiac managed to grab notice with some mini-muscle: a concept Solstice GXP-R. Like the GXP version sold at retail, the R comes with a 2-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine, with a boost to 300 hp from 260.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM

Default RE: Big Three plan new versions of high-power autos, with a difference

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

You can slip that crate into your car now or wait until 2008 to substitute it for the 6.1-liter, 425-horsepower Hemi that will be offered in the factory version of Challenger.
AWESOME news! [sm=happybounce.gif]
Old 11-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Big Three plan new versions of high-power autos, with a difference

I believe they ment to say 6.4L 540 HEMI and not 6.1L. If the Challenger wants to compete against the Camaro, they need to offer tall enough gearing to help the 6.1L get better fuel mileage. Although people don't buy a muscle car for fuel mileage, having an EPA rating that is 10 mpg higher is going to steer some drivers to the Camaro. There is no reason why the Challenger should under perform the Camaro in fuel mileage. They need to see if they can't see if they can't get around what ever problem they had that prevented them from offering the 6.1L with MDS.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts